Can't see PVmicro on DH485 using 1747-UIC adapter

CeeDee

Hello,
I'm having some issues seeing a panelview 300micro (2711-M3A19L1)when it is wired up to a PLC (SLC503;1747-L533 SER E) and to our shop's laptop using RSLinx. The SLC has two communication connectors on it: a RJ45 and RS232 connector on the CPU face. I'm using a 1747-UIC (DH485 to RS485 or RS232)to USB adapter that plugs into the laptop via USB port. The adapter has one of two selections and is selected for DH485 to RS485 (standard cat 5 cable). The cat5 is connected to the SLC503 CPU; pretty standard. I can see the SLC via RSLinx no problem. When I hook up the PV300micro to the SLC via the 8pin mini DIN (panelview side) to the D-shell RS232 (SLC503 side), nothing happens. I can't see the panelview on RSLinx. I don't know how else to "see" the PV without directly connecting it to the 1747 adapter; and the laptop. I want to be able to talk to both the panelview and the SLC at the same time. There was no transfer of knowledge on how this was achieved before the guy that did this stuff left our shop. But thess are the components I was left with so I know it has to be possible somehow. I was thinking a certain communication pass thru on the SLC CPU was impeding communication through the SLC to the adapter. I tried looking up manuals for this stuff, but finding helpful info on this particular subject has been near impossible o_O. Any ideas what I could try?

See pdf below for how to use passthru comms on your SLC.

You should not use a cat 5 cable with your 1747-UIC see cable pdf below. The proper cable is a 1747-C13.

Note important note for the 1747-C13 cable.

Thank you. I will try this asap when I get back to work. I will post if it worked or not just in case someone else out there may have the same issue.

It didn't work. I thought for sure I could figure out something. I must be missing something simple. No matter what I try in the "channel configuration" under "controller" within RSlogix I can not get the PV300 to show up in RSLinx (on the laptop) so I can actually download to it. I can see either one on the RSlinx depending on which I plug into the 1747-UIC. I'm not sure if I "HAVE" to use a 1761-NET-AIC module just to have all three of these devices (laptop, SLC, and PV300) talking; especially since both the SLC and the PV are using the DH485 protocol. The 1747-UIC DH485 to USB should be all that I need, right? I really wish my job would send me to some training. I drew up a quick diagram of what I've got going on. Sorry for its crudeness. Hopefully it helps you help me. o_O

PV300Micro Picture.jpg

Last edited:
I really wish I could. I work for the government; hence the older equipment. That would be near impossible with the security restrictions imposed on us. These PLCs are used for various support industrial equipment and machinery. I mostly work with automated air compressors and blower units. I want to bench-test a new panel view program I drew up in panel-builder before I install it on a machine. Basically just run through the buttons and screens to make sure things look right. I don't need any of the inputs or outputs to work. They can all say "error" for all I care. For what I need help with there technically isn't a program. I have one rung strung up with a random XIC bit and a random OTE bit output. I was remote on the SLC and remote/ONLINE with the RSlogix and trying different channel configurations on the fly in hopes that the PV300 would show up on the RSlinx. Maybe there is something specifically I can look into, for you?

Last edited:
hence the older equipment

The SLC must have OS302 C FRN 7 to use the passthru feature.

Can you post a snapshot of the channel configuration, processor status for the channels
and RSLinx's RSWho. After you have configured the processor for passthru.

I read over the channel to channel portion on the "Chapter 14 SLC passthu communications" that you posted. I still can't get it to work. Maybe it is because I had to read it over several times just to grasp some of it. I'm still not sure I understand it completely. An example in the write up would have been nice; typical Allen Bradley. The SLC I'm using is a 302 C FRN 11
*** I have screen shots I took, But they exceed the maximum size requirements of this site *** A little over 10MB for six pictures. I tried compressing, it didn't work.

I have not done this but you might try making the passthru link IDs the same. You can always change it back.

Can you show us the processor status screen shot for channel 0.

If I make the passthru IDs the same, what should I make them? While online and in remote mode I made the passthru ID links 1 and 1, 1 and 2, 2 and 1, 2 and 2 with the DH485 settings shown in the pictures. I was only able to get both the PV and the SLC to show up on RSlinx using a 1761-NET-AIC adapter. I really would like this passthru to work instead. Single cat5 interfacing would be easier for serviceability in an already very crowded cabinet. I was able to get the RS232 led right below the DH485 light on the PLC processor to start slowly flashing when I did a combination of something with those passthru IDs (leaving processor status bits default). I might be that I just turned on that channel (chan 0 - RS232 Dshell). I will work on that processor status screen for you. Anything else I need to grab? I get one more shot at this before this holiday weekend. Tomorrow is Friday for me! (y)

Last edited:
[Just trying to use what is there and available. Why try to add a module when it should work as is. I figure someone out there has done it. Plus, two units we service here have their small control cabinets already crammed and filled with stuff. It would take a longer down time to move and modify stuff around in the cabinet. It would be simpler to just plug in a cat5 cable to the SLC processor and the other end to a panel mount ethernet receptacle mounted on the cabinet. The 300micro plugs into the D-shell 232 connector. You wouldn't ever have to power down and open up the cabinet just to monitor the PLC and the ladder. I would think it'd be safer, convenient, and not to mention it keeps the machine in its current state.

Last edited:
You wouldn't ever have to power down and open up the cabinet just to monitor the PLC and the ladder. I would think it'd be safer, convenient, and not to mention it keeps the machine in its current state.

You don't need to see the PV to do that.

FYI,
I would not use a cat 5 cable to plug into your SLC5/03.
The port on the SLC has 24vdc on it. The proper cable is the 1747-C13 see
pdf below.

Last edited:
When you say not to use cat5 to connect to the SLC, do you mean ever? In this application, I just use
it to communicate with the laptop via the 1747-UIC usb converter. The panelview 300micro hooks to the SLC via the rsr232 to mini-DIN (1761-cbl-pm02).is having 24vdc on the cat5 bad?