Cheapest path to adding some discrete IO to Siemens CPU317-2 DP for learning setup.

Hey Brian,

Give me a call when you get a minute, I have a bunch of old Siemens parts... just not enough time to list/sell them, I can loan you some and you can send them back when you are done

And also get one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/164022329123 I may have one but they are cheap, then you can also check play with local I/O

Mark

Do you really need the I/O, for most simulations you could use internal memory bits, sometimes this is better as you can then build in routines that simulate the real I/O, obviously, for things like Start/Stop buttons then you have to force them, however, for I/O like valve feedback and so on then a simple bit of code in a sim block. This can be used for all sorts of simulation including analogues etc.
Here is a example of simulating a valve with position sensors:
I may have not got the actual reason for adding real I/O but it is worth thinking about.
The only caveat is the setup of the real I/O cannot be done.
If eventually you need real I/O for a project you create blocks of code that map the Real I/O into and out to internal memory, then on testing completion disable or remove the simulation blocks and enable the I/O mapping.

I know I could do the whole thing virtually with forcing bits. Three things about that... 1. The simulator module was *really* cheap! $20. 2. I tend to remember things better if I physically do them. 3. The fun factor is higher with a "real" input. Heck, I'll be hooking up the VFD to a real motor in my shop. How's that for fun?! :)

(I have a test fixture where I repair VFDs... so I have a couple motors to serve as a load. So its no big deal.)

Fair warning, I think some of the older HMIs used an MMC as well, which wasn't compatible with the PLC MMC. Probably would have had an HMI part number though, so as long as you stick to 6ES7 stuff, as the other poster said, you should be fine.

Newer PLCs use SD cards instead of MMC. Looks the same, but the description should be changed. Also the newer ones are black instead of the ugly blue-green.

I saw the cards for the HMIs... they were much cheaper, so I was afraid of ordering the wrong MMC. Getting the "6ES7953" part number helped.

Hey Brian,

Give me a call when you get a minute, I have a bunch of old Siemens parts... just not enough time to list/sell them, I can loan you some and you can send them back when you are done

And also get one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/164022329123 I may have one but they are cheap, then you can also check play with local I/O

Mark

I *did* get one of those... for $20. I like it! I think I'm good for now, Mark. ...although I might need some Profibus connectors. I need to take inventory of the pieces I grabbed from renovating a winding machine last year. Everything I ordered is supposed to arrive by next Monday, including a CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B, series B that I'm getting for my learning lab. I wanted a 5380, but it was out of my comfort range. It seems like I'm getting a little bit of everything thrown at me this year, so I'm just going with it.

Btw... I'm glad I saw your S7-200 cable while I was browsing around the internet the other day. I have the software, but borrowed the cable the last time I needed it.

Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate having you as a resource.