CIP Motion L43 Processor

SparkieJ

I have run into several systems the last while that are using L43 CompactLogix processors to control 6000 series servo drives over a Sercos loop. It's getting more difficult to get replacement servos and upgrading the processors is difficult as well because of the extremely long lead times.

Has anyone come up with a solution for a different drive for these situations? I haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer about whether or not the processor is hardware capable of CIP motion over Ethernet/IP. Is Rockwell's lack of support just a software lack, could, for instance Yaskawa Servo's be used to control over Ethernet/IP? Or is there a hardware limitation on these processors?

The only CompactLogix PLCs that support CIP motion are the ones with an "M" or "MS" at the end of the catalog number. It looks like the L43 processors are retired. A current product would be 1769-L33ERM, if you can find one.

There are alternatives, though. We just started up a system that has a 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B. The Kinetix drives and AB PLCs with safety & motion support had such a long lead time that we ended up using a Mitsubishi J4 series drive & motor. They have AOPs and AOIs that emulate the Rockwell motion instructions (like MAM, MAS, etc.) but work on a non-motion capable PLC. So far, it's been pretty solid.

edit:
I just looked up the 1768-L43:
https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...27bf-1114-86ce-d81865db4227;deepLinking=false

It doesn't look like it ever had a motion option available. The L43 only supports up to v20, so you'll want to verify the servo drive you pick has AOIs that work that far back. Another option is to use a newer CompactLogix that you can get and convert your -L43 rack into Ethernet IO.

Last edited:
It's a hardware capability limitation. The 1768-L43 and -L45 series controllers were a sort of intermediate phase of CompactLogix development more than a decade ago.

Those controllers had a novel 1768 bus to the left of the CPU that supported smaller versions of the ENBT, CNB, and SERCOS modules.

Those controllers definitely do not support CIP Motion or CIP Safety or CIP Sync. As noted, the firmware for that hardware ended at v20.

If you need synchronized or coordinated axes or camming, you can examine products like the Mitsubishi that have AOPs that let them approximate Logix motion.

Most folks upgrading from L43/L45 move to a 1769-L33 or -L36 to retain the right-side 1769 Compact I/O bus, and get a CPU with the "M" part number to support Kinetix 5500/5700/6500 family motion controllers with CIP Motion.

Thanks gentlemen, both replies are very helpful.

Yes, I'm aware that the 1769-L33ERM with a 5069-AENTR is the typical solution. Actually, I already quoted that path. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get that processor and the AENTR was quoted with a lead time of "No estimated lead time"

Yaskawa at least (and likely Mitsubishi as well) has AOP's available back to version 20, so that approach should be possible and should be fairly painless to implement. Also would still make for a fairly easy upgrade to a newer processor when they become available.