CLX to Modbus TCP

allscott

I have got a Clx processor 5561 that I want to be able to communicate with about a dozen heating/cooling units. Unfortunately the only communications option available on this particular unit is Modbus TCP.

I was looking at a Prosoft MVI56E-MNETC and that seems like it would do the trick. But I am Wondering about a Red Lion G305 that I have on the same network communicating with the same PLC with Ethernet I/P

Is there some way to use the red lion as some sort of bridge to the Modbus network or would I be better off buying the prosoft module?

I have got a Clx processor 5561 that I want to be able to communicate with about a dozen heating/cooling units. Unfortunately the only communications option available on this particular unit is Modbus TCP.

I was looking at a Prosoft MVI56E-MNETC and that seems like it would do the trick. But I am Wondering about a Red Lion G305 that I have on the same network communicating with the same PLC with Ethernet I/P

Is there some way to use the red lion as some sort of bridge to the Modbus network or would I be better off buying the prosoft module?

I've never heard of a G305, but you can use any of the G3xx units as a communications gateway between CLX and Modbus TCP.

Look into configuring Modbus TCP Gateway Blocks. How you do this will depend on whether the G3xx will be a Modbus TCP Master or Slave, but will be similar.

I just did something similar with a WAGO 750-882 but you can do it with any of the WAGO 750 controllers. It took me about 10 minutes to set up the 13 VSDs. Only code I actually wrote was to xfer the data between the WAGO's EIP buffer and each VSDs Modbus in/out buffer. I'll gladly share the source with you. Very inexpensive too.

Good luck,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

I've never heard of a G305, but you can use any of the G3xx units as a communications gateway between CLX and Modbus TCP.

Look into configuring Modbus TCP Gateway Blocks. How you do this will depend on whether the G3xx will be a Modbus TCP Master or Slave, but will be similar.

Sorry it's a G310. I think I will look into using this option, it will keep me from having to purchase any additional hardware.

Thanks.

I just did something similar with a WAGO 750-882 but you can do it with any of the WAGO 750 controllers. It took me about 10 minutes to set up the 13 VSDs. Only code I actually wrote was to xfer the data between the WAGO's EIP buffer and each VSDs Modbus in/out buffer. I'll gladly share the source with you. Very inexpensive too.

Good luck,

(Yosi)

Thanks, I think I will go down the Red Lion path first. The panel is already sitting there running as an HMI so if I don't need to buy or install anymore hardware that would seem to make the most sense.

If speed is not an issue that should be fine. Either way the offer stands.

Good luck!

(Yosi)

If speed is not an issue that should be fine. Either way the offer stands.

Good luck!

(Yosi)

Do you know something about this that I don't know? I have never seen a speed issue using a Redlion device as a communications gateway, and I've used more than 50 for this purpose.

How fast do you have to go? If you can need a 1 second turn around then you can go with different HW than if you need a 50ms turn around. Red Lion makes great stuff and I see no problem doing this with most situations, that's all.

How fast do you have to go? If you can need a 1 second turn around then you can go with different HW than if you need a 50ms turn around. Red Lion makes great stuff and I see no problem doing this with most situations, that's all.

Oh, I know that Redlion is fast enough for all of my applications. I've never run a test, but based on the screen update times, I would expect to see faster than 1 second updates through the gateway.

If I needed 50 ms updates, I'd probably rethink using *any* communications gateway.

Right now I'm using an Ascii bisync network and response time is about 8 seconds so I think the Red Lion should be fine. :)

Oh, I know that Redlion is fast enough for all of my applications. I've never run a test, but based on the screen update times, I would expect to see faster than 1 second updates through the gateway.

If I needed 50 ms updates, I'd probably rethink using *any* communications gateway.

What I've found with the WAGO is that I can set it up as RIO to any EIP master. The WAGO has built-in MBTCP and MBUDP and has an FB for Siemens Fetch/Write protocol. It can also move data to and from MS-SQL, HTTP, FTP, and can do secure email. It's quite a versatile box, especially for the money.