CompactLogix L1 firmware flash

dmned64

I understand the firmware of a CompactLogix L1 can be changed from the SD card if the processor is configured to load on corrupt memory. The user manual implies this would work for a brand new device with no project in the controller. How, then, can the processor configuration be set to load on corrupt memory when it is brand new with no project in the controller?

I am trying to determine if it is possible to load the firmware in a new controller without ControlFlash, RSLogix 5000, etc. but simply from the SD card.

You would first have to flash a L1 with the desired firmware and correct options for when to load. Then you'd save to the SD card. Now the contents of that SD card can be used to flash other processors.

We used to do this a while back, they were configured to load on power up. We'd save the contents of the SD card to our server, whenever we had a new one to flash, we'd load up a card and flash it.

I am pretty sure the 'Boot' firmware installed on any out-of-the-box Logix CPU is not capable to load firmware from the CF/SD media hence ControFlash will be initially required.

Once the CPU is 'flashed' to a functional firmware level you have the choice to Load projects and/or associated firmware packages from the CF/SD storage when properly configured in the Controller Properties.

dmroeder beat me to it...

That's the answer I believed because I could not think of a way to change the controller configuration without being able to connect to it, and it can't be connected to without a usable firmware. It would be convenient is this part of the controller configuration was available via RSLinx similar to the ethernet IP settings.

I was also hoping the button on the front of the controller (under the Run/Rem/Prog switch) would be a means to force the controller to load the project from the card and thereby update the firmware but that didn't seem to work.

Last edited:
Once you have the files I mentioned, you can flash brand new controllers with it. We would also have it load a simple ACD that would set the IP address for us.

In other words, control flash will be necessary on the first one you flash, in order to get the contents of the firmware and boot options saved to the SD card. After that, you can use the SD card to flash brand new ones.

I think the default setting is to allow firmware updates, even on the factory default, from non-volatile memory as long as you have a valid configuration from a the same family of processors with the firmware you want.

I sort of remember doing it when I had to setup 20 or so compacts a while back

See highlights from Rockwell Automation Publication 1756-PM017G-EN-P – June 2016

Out-of-the-box controllers are at Rev.1.2 or similar...You will need to ControlFlash to Rev.12 or higher.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
You would first have to flash a L1 with the desired firmware and correct options for when to load. Then you'd save to the SD card. Now the contents of that SD card can be used to flash other processors.

We used to do this a while back, they were configured to load on power up. We'd save the contents of the SD card to our server, whenever we had a new one to flash, we'd load up a card and flash it.

See highlights from Rockwell Automation Publication 1756-PM017G-EN-P – June 2016

Out-of-the-box controllers are at Rev.1.2 or similar...You will need to ControlFlash to Rev.12 or higher.

This is from Publication 1769-UM021H-EN-P - November 2016 which led me to believe it could be done:

Capture.jpg

Once you have the files I mentioned, you can flash brand new controllers with it. We would also have it load a simple ACD that would set the IP address for us.

In other words, control flash will be necessary on the first one you flash, in order to get the contents of the firmware and boot options saved to the SD card. After that, you can use the SD card to flash brand new ones.

Per your comment we have another L1 with the firmware needed so I going to make sure the controller configuration is set to load on corrupt memory then copy it's project to it's SD card and use that card to update the firmware in the new L1.

You could try it...:geek:

The point I was trying to make is that new controllers 'don't know much'...Knowing how to load firmware from CF/SD requires firmware at revision 12 or higher...Brand new Logix CPUs know only what they are and how to communicate via USB and Ethernet...That's about it...:D

You could try it...:geek:

The point I was trying to make is that new controllers 'don't know much'...Knowing how to load firmware from CF/SD requires firmware at revision 12 or higher...Brand new Logix CPUs know only what they are and how to communicate via USB and Ethernet...That's about it...:D

I understand. It just seems differences between the tables from the two manuals make it a little confusing on whether it is possible or not.

I am curious to see if it works as well, like I said I "remember" doing it but that was like 8 years ago and my memory isn't so great all the time.

It was either on the out of the box ones or the existing lab ones honestly there were so many of them at the college I was at it was hard to keep track of.

Per your comment we have another L1 with the firmware needed so I going to make sure the controller configuration is set to load on corrupt memory then copy it's project to it's SD card and use that card to update the firmware in the new L1.

I can't vouch for the corrupt memory, we use "on power up". I also cannot vouch for your specific CompactLogix, I'm not even sure what a "L1" is, I assume L18? Other than that, yes, what you described is correct. I'd bet a dollar that it will work. Just make sure that you leave the flash card in long enough to fully complete the flash, a few minutes.

Despite what the manual says, we use this method on hundreds of processors. L31, L32E, L30ER, L43's and ControlLogix. I see no reason for a L18 to be different.