CompactLogix L1 firmware flash

We configured a working v24 L1 to load on corrupt memory and copied the project to its SD card. We then placed the card in the new L1 and powered it up. Nothing happened. We then powered down and inserted a paper clip in the hole under the Prog/Rem/Run swithc while powering on. Nothing happened.

Seems the only way to update the firmware on a new controller is via ControlFlash.

I can't vouch for the corrupt memory, we use "on power up". I also cannot vouch for your specific CompactLogix, I'm not even sure what a "L1" is, I assume L18? Other than that, yes, what you described is correct. I'd bet a dollar that it will work. Just make sure that you leave the flash card in long enough to fully complete the flash, a few minutes.

Despite what the manual says, we use this method on hundreds of processors. L31, L32E, L30ER, L43's and ControlLogix. I see no reason for a L18 to be different.

By L1 I meant 5370 L16, sorry for the shorthand.

We will try again Monday with the load on power up option.

Do you know anything about the hole under the Prog/Rem/Run switch? I saw a video wherein that was used to load from the card.

Your shorthand was perfectly fine, I just didn't recognize.

Honestly, I've never experimented with the pin hole, the manual may say more about it. It might be possible to default it using that pin. I'll have to try it this afternoon. Just a WAG, but maybe if it were set to load on corrupt memory, and you powered it up with that pin-hole-reset pressed, that would essentially put it in a "corrupt memory" state.

I should also mention that when you configure your initial store to the SD card, there is an option to flash the firmware. This is not selected by default, you would need to select it to do what you want to accomplish. I think it says "Automatic Firmware Update".

Honestly, I've never experimented with the pin hole, the manual may say more about it. It might be possible to default it using that pin. I'll have to try it this afternoon. Just a WAG, but maybe if it were set to load on corrupt memory, and you powered it up with that pin-hole-reset pressed, that would essentially put it in a "corrupt memory" state.

I'm curious to know what you discover.

I should also mention that when you configure your initial store to the SD card, there is an option to flash the firmware. This is not selected by default, you would need to select it to do what you want to accomplish. I think it says "Automatic Firmware Update".

Yes, I used that option to flash the firmware but thanks for the reminder. On Monday we plan to repeat the process but choose the load on power option.

Your shorthand was perfectly fine, I just didn't recognize.

Success! This morning we went back to the L16 controller that had the updated firmware and stored the project the SD card this time with the Load On Powerup option selected, and the firmware option also selected. We then placed this card in the new controller, powered up, and the firmware updated. The project from the first controller was also copied to the new controller. A minor and a major recoverable fault were generated but after clearing those I was able to download the correct project to the new controller.

I did find in the manual that the reset button under the Prog/Rem/Run switch, when pressed at power up, clears the controller memory.

Thanks for all the suggestions.