Control logix 5550 software?Version of Rs logix 5000

It is possible to update the PLC program to a newer version, but you will need a copy of both the current version and the new version to do so. This might be a viable solution for you - if you are unable to find, or justify the expense of, the older versions of RSLogix 5000, you could potentially employ a contractor who has all the required software to simply update the program to the required version for you. You will also, as you suggested, need to update the firmware on the PLC to match.

WARNING!

Updating firmware on the PLC will ERASE THE PROGRAM FROM THE PLC! So you WILL need to have the updated program ready before you do this.

A few other things to watch for:
- The 5550 can only have firmware updated to a certain level. I'm not sure what that level is (George would probably know off the top of his head), but if it can't get high enough to match your software version then this is not a viable path for you anyway
- Flashing firmware is somewhat risky if you don't know what you're doing. If it fails partway through, your PLC can be permanently non-functional. If you have not done this before, and you are getting a contractor in anyway to update the program for you, it might be in your best interests to also get them to do the firmware update.
- Updating from such an early revision of firmware to a newer one may cause unforseen issues. There may be things that used to work, and now don't, or that work differently. You will need to have the ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and rectify all of these issues should they occur.

"If you don't understand the details of your business you are going to fail"...

Hi my friend...

Engrtalha said:
... .Currently i m in search for download link of rs Logix 5000 v 7.2 (Grace period).it would be quite helpful for me if any one could share the link.

You are not paying attention in class!...:p

-Geospark said:
...The prompt clearly tells you the controller is at firmware revision 7.2 and so will require v7.x of RSLogix 5000. Thirdly, it is v7.02 of RSLogix 5000 that you require, and not v7.2. Again, the all too often seen confusion and mix ups between firmware revisions and software versions...

You require RSLogix 5000 software version 7.02 so you can work with a 1756-L1 processor that is flashed to firmware revision 7.2. They are not the same number! I know you'll get it, eventually. (y)

Engrtalha said:
Secondly is this possible to convert the program that was originally build in ver 7.2 (you mean v7.02!) to any other version like ver 20.0 or ver 16? because i have version 20.0 installed and 5550 series is not present in this version .or should i upgrade both PLC firmware and also original program so that it can open on other version?

More "revision" required!...

Geospark said:
...5550 is a family catalog number of which there is only one member, the ControlLogix 5550 1756-L1 controller...

...The 1756-L1 is the oldest and first ControlLogix processor. It supports firmware revisions from r1.81 up to r13.40...

The ControlLogix 5550 1756-L1 processor cannot be flashed to any firmware revision higher than r13.xx. So firmware revision r20.xx cannot be flashed to this processor. If firmware r20.xx cannot be flashed to this processor, then RSLogix 5000 v20 software cannot be used with this processor. This is why the L1 controller is not present in v20 software. The same can be said for r16.xx and v16.xx, seeing as you mentioned it. Nor can 19, 18, 17, 15, 14. You get the drift?

The latest version of RSLogix 5000 that you can use with this controller is v13.xx. You would have to get a copy of both the v13 software and r13 firmware. You will have to flash upgrade the processor to firmware revision r13. Then you can convert your project ACD file from v7 to v13 and download. It is also possible to convert the project first and when downloading it to the processor it will prompt you to perform the firmware flash upgrade, providing you have the firmware files available on your workstation.

While procuring a copy of the older "RSLogix 5000" v7 is a little bit of hassle, you can download any of the "RSLogix 5000 Enterprise Series" versions, from v10 - v20, on the Rockwell Automation downloads page, again, providing you have a valid license for your current RSLogix 5000 v20 copy.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
ASF said:
It is possible to update the PLC program to a newer version, but you will need a copy of both the current version and the new version to do so...

ASF,

I can't think of any other obstacles at the moment, but I do not think you would need the older version if you just want to convert up to a newer supported version. If you look at the prompt screenshot I posted on Page 1, you will see the Change Controller... option at the bottom. If you opened an L1 v7 project with say only v13 installed, this prompt will allow you to change the controller to r13 in the v7 project and then it will open in v13. Unless you had to open in v7 first to do "something" before converting, then I don't think you'd have to have it?

G.

One possibility where you might need to have the older version before converting up is if there are irreparable conversions errors. You may need to open the older version first and make edits or ommisions before retrying the conversion.

Also, just a note on the "things that might not work afterwards" aspect of converting up. Some modules in the local chassis may be too old for compatibility with the upgrade. They made be too old Series-wise and so would need to be physically swapped out for newer. At the least they made also need firmware flashing to a compatible revision.

G.

Last edited:
Ken's list is very helpful

Just one note, we had L63 controllers series A running version 10. Allen Bradley can out with a L63 series B that did not support version 10. This is the version shown on Ken's list. That meant that the L63 controller I kept for backup had to be a series A.

This is just one example that can completely screw up your disaster recovery.

I posted this information just to point out how tricky firmware and software revisions can make supporting backups.

Last edited:
It's legit to want to be aware of exceptions to simplified information, and I realize that when we post here that our writing could be seen many years later by people with similar but different systems.

I appreciate also, George, your mention that the CPU isn't the only consideration when dealing with ControlLogix firmware upgrades.

A detailed list of ControlLogix 1756 series CPU hardware and firmware compatibility that goes from the L1 through the L7x is available in RA Knowledgebase 21012 (Access Level: TechConnect).

Ken,

I just realised something having read back a couple of the last posts...

When you wrote "..I don't think it's helpful to overload novice users", I was already well into composing my next post when I quoted Jeff Bezos (Amazon) in the title...

"If you don't understand the details of your business you are going to fail."

I was not aware of your statement before posting that.

I can see how that could have been misunderstood as a direct reply to your statement. I can assure you that it was not. It was purely directed at our friend here who was not paying attention to the details I had posted.

But, as Jeff also says...

"I believe you have to be willing to be misunderstood if you are going to innovate."

Ironically though, it may possibly be the fact that I posted so much detail that they just brushed over it. I may have overloaded them?

My attention to detail is what makes me good at what I do. But it is also what can make me somewhat annoying to those who have to work with me. It depends on the individual though. For those it affects they sigh. For those it infects they learn, hopefully.

Regards,
George

Good info but...

Sydney said:
...I posted this information just to point out how tricky firmware and software revisions can make supporting backups.

Firmware Revision

Software Version

:whistle:

Last edited:
Goespark and Ken,

I'm a millwright by trade and cross-trained as an electrician in the 90's. I worked with several Rockwell engineers for many years upgrading a old automotive plant. There are many of us out there that don't have the detailed information but are expected to maintain complicated systems. I really appreciate and respect your knowledge and attention to details.

The system I described in my post was a AVI system that supported production for 10 conveyor lines and was part of a electronic manifest system. We considered upgrading to a higher rev. but decided it would be to risky and expensive.

Regards