Control logix - change PLC name online

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I have a need to change the PLC name (probably the ethernet card name) that is viewed inside rslinx during who-is. basically i have 2 with same name, different ip.

Is it possible to do online or is it an edit and download task?

Also is it possible to upload (refresh) tags without doing the whole plc. (bit like GE Series 5 , upload registers only)

I am guessing its a NO and a NO lol.

The Controller name cannot be changed online. Individual module names can be changed, but not the CPU.

Check out the Tag Upload Download utility. This is a separate tool that is included with the RSLogix software but like the other tools it is not installed unless you checked that box during the installation.

The tool does however require an OPC server like RSLinx Classic Pro/OEM/Single Node/Gateway. RSLinx Classic Lite will not work for this.

OG

Hi
I have a need to change the PLC name (probably the ethernet card name) that is viewed inside rslinx during who-is. basically i have 2 with same name, different ip.

Is it possible to do online or is it an edit and download task?

Also is it possible to upload (refresh) tags without doing the whole plc. (bit like GE Series 5 , upload registers only)

I am guessing its a NO and a NO lol.

If you are online, then the code is already synchronised (correlated), that's the way it works - just do a save, you will be prompted if you want to update tag data - say yes.