Control Panel Build Table

abccs

Hello all,
After a few searches and a thread from 2007, I'm still looking for some suggestions. I was referred to this forum from another forum (control.com).

I'm looking for ideas on a Control Panel build table that articulates. I have found a tilt table online for around $3500. This is what i'm looking for but I imagine someone has built one of these for much cheaper. I've attached a picture. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Steve

ControlPanelTable.jpg

I have found a tilt table online for around $3500.

Hi Steve,

Even though 3500 sounds like a lot but its hard to tell from just the PIC but that looks like its motorized up/down and spins? sounds like a good deal is its good quality built

I would think you could build a non motorized out of some 8020 for cheaper but not sure if its worth reinventing the wheel or ask them if they have a cheaper model?

Hi Steve,

Even though 3500 sounds like a lot but its hard to tell from just the PIC but that looks like its motorized up/down and spins? sounds like a good deal is its good quality built

I would think you could build a non motorized out of some 8020 for cheaper but not sure if its worth reinventing the wheel or ask them if they have a cheaper model?

I was really going back and forth. It does seem like a decent deal but I wanted to check first as I'm sure there are plenty of panel builders on here. Thank you for responding!

We built something similar about 10 years ago. Turns out the guys hated them, all went back to a flat table that you can access all 4 sides on. In fact we only have one left, it’s used to hold a test panel for fat’s.

Hanging it vertically creates a lot of shadows. You’re constantly adjusting height or bending over all the time.

We built something similar about 10 years ago. Turns out the guys hated them, all went back to a flat table that you can access all 4 sides on. In fact we only have one left, it’s used to hold a test panel for fat’s.

Hanging it vertically creates a lot of shadows. You’re constantly adjusting height or bending over all the time.

In my few years of panel building I typically built them sitting upright. A lot of our guys prefer laying down as you've said.

We just build the subplates flat on a wheeled table, but then transfer to a panel rack for wiring.
Much easier to label and wire standing up.

I have always seen where the panel was laid flat with the height at the persons level, due to the fact that you need to mount the devices. Saw horses or table used for holding the panel. I have never seen such an articular arm used in manufacturing panels. I have dealt with a lot of panel shops and in house panel shops.

Like Gene said, the panel is only put inside the enclosure at end to wire in the door hardware and any interconnect to other panels inside the enclosure.

Another thing to consider, because we had this happen... When the panels were mounted vertically like your image they can be very top heavy. While wheeling it across the shop a 1/4-20 nut ended up under the caster, it acted like a wheel chalk and down went the panel. Luckily it was enroute from fab so it only junked a subpanel. Had there been components on the subplate that would have been an expensive work day.

I am considering building my own. Thank you,

Thats what I did... but the lay flat version, 2x4's, 4x4's and 3/4 ac plywood and a couple oversized moving furniture pads

But then again the panels I build will stack up inside most of the panels you guys build, we build 16 in a weekend :)

20201009_165752 (1).jpg

Back in the day "90s" my boss built an A frame out of 4x4s and 2x4s...
holes in the 4x4s to hold long 1/2" lag bolts that a 2x4 shelf was placed.
and some sort of wheeled skates on the bottom...

one panel or box on each side

They worked quite well.
sorry for bad pictures it is all I could find...

Pic a-frame2a.pdf shows shows the a-frame on the right