Control Panel Pictures

Hi Jesper

Do you have special reason why not to use multiply vendor for remote I/O ?
I intend to mix Siamese ET200S and Phoenix Contact I/Os on a same Profinet network.

because then the customer has to know two products and also has to keep stock for spares of 2 different products. makes the life of the customer a whole lot easier if you just stick to one vendor. and also urs as you dont have to configure different vendors devices to communicate. if you have one then setup up and fault finding will be so much easier

I notice very few of the panels seem to allow for segregation of low volt control and power. I am normally particular about this, and arrange panels to have separate ducts for power and control.

geoff it would be gr8 if we could get jobs doing it this way, as we will be the only people tendering doing it. cost will increase alot as there is alot less space. i would do the same in every panel but for now just isnt a viable option.
in a mcc with busbar drops this is achieved easily but not in a single cabinet or something similar with restricted space

Last edited:
6 years later.

I find it funny to compare what has happened with the design of one of our control panels after 6 years have passed.

The panel in this thread:
http://www.plctalk.com/qanda/showpost.php?p=55634&postcount=20

is functionally the same as this panel:
[attachment]

What has happened in the mean time ?
AB Flex io has been replaced by Siemens ET200S.
AB RIO has been replaced by ProfiNet.
The fan has been dropped (there is already a fan in the VFD).
AB PF70 has been replaced by a Siemens G120 of more than twice the power.
The brake resistor (which is much bigger) has been placed on the outside of the panel.
The size of the panel has been changed and the componenets somewhat rearranged.

BA1_small.jpg

One thing that really annoys me about some of our panels. When manufactured, they seem to put US or EU style socket outlets in them!!! That is no good to me or to my laptop.

Note to people building panels; if it is destined to go to a different area, stick in local socket outlets for laptops etc :)

Ill post some pics to this thread tommorow.

One thing that really annoys me about some of our panels. When manufactured, they seem to put US or EU style socket outlets in them!!! That is no good to me or to my laptop.

Note to people building panels; if it is destined to go to a different area, stick in local socket outlets for laptops etc :)

Ill post some pics to this thread tommorow.

Yeah, one thing missing from Jespers panel is outlet for laptop.. If I remeber right, it is even in standard to have it in some cases. Dont know if its applicable to this case tough.

But overall very nice panel Jesper. I would place IO to lower part of panel tough, there it is cooler ;)

Regarding AC outlet and hi temperature:

With the panel in the pictures, you cannot use an AC outlet to power your laptop. The panel is sitting on a moving shuttle.
In this panel the air is circulated by the fan in the VFD, so no big advantage in moving the PLC i/o to the bottom of the panel. Much more important is that the wiring is not cumbersomely arranged, which would have been the case if the PLC i/o was in the bottom.

There is a master panel with the CPU and operator controls. But there is no single phase AC in the master panel any longer. This because I have dropped the 230V transformer to save money and to rid this panel of the worst source of heat.
Since the SLC500, which got plenty hot, has been replaced by an IM151-8, which remains totally cool, and cancelling the transformer, there have been zero problems with heat.

Of course it is a nuissance not having an AC outlet. But it is not a deal-breaker to my opinion.

Hello wiring sages,

I have a project coming up where I need to put an usually large amount of wiring inside a form 3 cabinet unit. The customer would like us to use conventional trunking because zip-tied wire bundles are a pain to troubleshoot, but space may be too tight. Does anyone know of any open-style cable clips that could be used as a low-real-estate alternative to cable duct? I was thinking of something like this but adjustable: http://www.comms-express.com/products/cabgrip-cable-managers/

Hi Binaural.

I think that the "open-style cable clips" you mention will take just as much space as wire ducts.
I suggest you look at wire ducts that are narrow, but also "tall".
Examples that we use are Tehalit BA6 30015 (18 mm wide by 32 mm tall) and Tehalit BA6 60015 (19 mm wide by 63 mm tall).

edit: These narrow wire ducts are actually quite nice. The wires can be tucked inside so that they are much less prone to fall out when you remove the lid.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a couple of panels i have installed in the past year. The first pics are of our chipper console, inside its just terminal blocks and an MCR. The last three are of our debarker console and its associated PLC.

Con1.jpg IMAG0040.jpg Console 8 Aug 10.jpg Cabinet Finished.jpg

Hello wiring sages,

I have a project coming up where I need to put an usually large amount of wiring inside a form 3 cabinet unit. The customer would like us to use conventional trunking because zip-tied wire bundles are a pain to troubleshoot, but space may be too tight. Does anyone know of any open-style cable clips that could be used as a low-real-estate alternative to cable duct? I was thinking of something like this but adjustable: http://www.comms-express.com/products/cabgrip-cable-managers/

Why not just use LUTZE space frames?