Control Panel Pictures: Not So Good

It looks like something i would test with in my own workshop. Definitely not something i would deliver to a client. It looks messy. There are neater ways to run wires to switches in doors.

What Erik was saying is the person that did this at his supplier did not have pride in his work and i agree 100%. It will take 5 min to neaten up the wires not a big job. You wont rewire the panel.

Watched the picture from Eric for long time, trying to understand what's so wrong with this console and where is the mess. Still don't understand.
All wires are labeled and this is not a terminal box.
If my subordinate technician started "improving" this, he would be immediately given more useful work to do.

Well if he worked for me I would have him clean up the cabinet bottom including
1. pick up the papers and put them where they belong
2. Clean out the scrap wire - I hope it is scrap.

In the middle run of wires there are 3 black ones that just seem to be hanging open ended

Othewise not as bad as some I have seen

Dan Bentler

Well if he worked for me I would have him clean up the cabinet bottom including
1. pick up the papers and put them where they belong
2. Clean out the scrap wire - I hope it is scrap.

In the middle run of wires there are 3 black ones that just seem to be hanging open ended

Othewise not as bad as some I have seen

Dan Bentler
My comment was only about Eric Nelson's picture of display consolet.

My comment was only about Eric Nelson's picture of display consolet.

That one looked pretty good to me.

The only thing I would really want is for that spiral loom to be clamped to the lid so the wires at the terminations do not flex and work loose.

THose blue wires could have been run in a cleaner and less spagetti pile manner. One or two tie raps would have neatened this up also.

Dan Bentler

Here's a before & after replacement picture

The Prisma Plus panels are pretty nice (I'm asuming I haven't mistaken these for something else!), especially the front doors.

However they have one big drawback - the front / equipment panel fixing mechanism leads very easily to stripped locking screws and bent panels when impatient sparkies (and PLC guys) get into them.

godfrey please have the rails, or the ground contacts isolated from the cabinet, that way you can find a ground loop easier, now you create lots of them.
and i dont see any terminal numbers so very hard to commission

Our Customer just received a BRAND NEW machine.

Unbelievable!

Shame on anyone doing work like this!

I wouldn't accept it, or at least I would try not to but that doesn't always work.

Lol at the taped marretes.

I learned something new... a new name for wirenuts I do believe.

And I am with Sergei, on Eric's consolet. I agree that the wires are a little too long, and the spiral wrapping needs to be secured. I actually don't like spiral wrapping at all, but it is okay in short lengths and secured with a threaded fastener (not a sticker claiming to be a fastener).

Some of the worst panels in this thread would be some of the best panels at places I have worked. Count yourselves lucky. I could post some pics of really bad ones, but I think I shouldn't.

Paul

Here is a beauty that i had pleasure to work with couple of months ago. Best part is that it is working and doing well :)
It was scary to work on it.

IMG_0456.jpg

Here are some pictures I took last week to try and justify a machine rewire. Believe it or not I have worse. Sorry for the fuzzy one.

20140224_103107.jpg 20140224_103146.jpg 20140224_103156.jpg

Allscott nice one, and that's what i call rat's nest.

It's the one of the only machines in the plant that scares me. Not scared in a safety sense but scared that if something goes wrong I won't be able to fix it. That panel has 480V/230V/120V/24V AC in it along with 90V and 24V DC. I kid you not.

We have an older electrician in the plant that is a very brilliant man and can make almost anything work but he's not the neatest as you can see. This plant is in serious trouble when he leaves.

I learned something new... a new name for wirenuts I do believe.

And I am with Sergei, on Eric's consolet. I agree that the wires are a little too long, and the spiral wrapping needs to be secured. I actually don't like spiral wrapping at all, but it is okay in short lengths and secured with a threaded fastener (not a sticker claiming to be a fastener).

Some of the worst panels in this thread would be some of the best panels at places I have worked. Count yourselves lucky. I could post some pics of really bad ones, but I think I shouldn't.

Paul

Yea it's a Canuck thing, wire nuts have always been called Marretes here. I learned a few of our terms don't work in the US when I lived down there. You guys don't like Robertson screws (no idea why they are way better than a Philips), they are standard in the electrical industry here. I once asked a young southern maintenance guy to go to the shop and get some redi-rod (all thread), caused some blank stares as well.