ControlNet and DeviceNet

Hi

Short question wow this could go on and on.
So in simple terms

Control is normally used to connect Ab plc together and also for connection I /o to the plc. This is normally in my side of the world used in process setups but sometimes it is used I machines. It needs rs networks for control net to set it up and it can be used on longer runs than device net 1000m I think but not sure on this best to goggle that one. D net is used by a lot a plc makes and is very much used here and once you get used to it I think it's very good and very solid.

Devicenet is mostly used this end of the world for machines and I find is very good for vsd, I/o and also most vendors have a d net option for their parts not so much with control net. D net is setup with rs networks for device net if you are using a Ab plc as I don't know any other plc that uses control net.

This is a very simple compare maybe if you want to expand your question you might get some better Answers from the site.
Do you want to know the science behind each one or just how to set them up.

Donnchadh

I think ControlNet is faster (100Mbps if I remember correctly) than D-Net as well.

The thing about DeviceNet is that in my experience, 99% of the time it is implemented incorrectly. People use trunk lines where they should be using drop lines, stuff multiple conductors into a single connector terminal (instead of using the proper double-connector), don't use termination resistors, etc. The reason they "get away" with it is when the system is first fired up, it works! Hooray! And it will work for years! But then, after a while, heat and vibration start working the connectors loose and suddenly you have random network failures, machine downtime, and maintenance techs growing balder and balder out of frustration.

That's one of the huge problems with DeviceNet in my opinion. It's not that it isn't a good network in theory. There's just so much more to consider when implementing it, and so much more opportunity to screw something up that will bite you or someone in the rear at some point in the future.

DeviceNet is a low level (Master-Slave) serial field bus network with a maximum baud rate of 500 Kbps.
ControlNet is a high throughput, deterministic high level (Peer-to-Peer or Master-Slave)communications network with a maximum baudrate of 5 Mbps; the communication rate (Network Update Time- NUT)enforcement is unique within the automation communications networking world; the ControNet Network Keeper will always ensure the data transfer rate is identical to the user defined one.