DeviceNet / ControlNet

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a few systems that use DNet and CNet. I noticed there were programs called RSNetWorx which after checking out I see is a topology tool.

I'm currently doing plant-wide system backups as our archives are quite old and disorganized and am now looking at these devicenet and controlnet cards.

What I am wondering is do I need RSNetworx to configure these DN and CN cards, and how do I back up their configurations as well as load them?

Are their configurations stored in the program project file or does it have to be configured separately through RSLinx?

Thanks again guys!

If you are maintaining Dnet and Cnet networks, then you do need RSNetworx for backups and troubleshooting. Make sure you get the RSNetworx with diagnosis, called MD. It may come with the regular version now, used to be a separate part number.

Are their configurations stored in the program project file

nope ...

or does it have to be configured separately through RSLinx?

nope - it's worse than that - much worse especially in the case of DeviceNet ...

you're going to need RSNetworx for DeviceNet - and RSNetworx for ControlNet ... that's TWO new software packages (but you might be able to buy them as a bundle) ...

NOTE: before you spend any money, check and see if your company already has these ... maybe you've just never seen them used ...

while you're backing up your "project" files (.ACD type) you should also find and back up your ControlNet configuration files (.XC type) and your DeviceNet configuration files (.DNT type) ... you have no idea how important those files are until the dreadful day that you NEED them - and can't find them ...

for DeviceNet you're probably eventually going to have to come up with some type of "communication adapter" to let your computer "get onto" the DeviceNet network - unless your plant already has one ...

These racks have ethernet cards in them, so hopefully I can communicate through the ethernet card. If not, I'll dig around the shop I'm sure we have a communication adapter somewhere.

We do have the software. One of the things I have done is inventory and track all of our automation software. That took me about a week to go through all those old boxes and get everything moved over to FTA!

Thanks for the information guys. This gives me enough to get started and figure it out. These are plant refrigeration systems (mostly) so I definitely need to get it done and add them to the project files.

sparkie,

The latest version I have of these 2 programs is V21, and I had to upgrade to the USB adapters for both DN and CN, I had the PCMCIA cards and Rockwell did me a stepforward deal, with moeny back on returning the old cards.

I went through a similar exercise as you are going to....I still have not found everything yet...

Points to note:
1) on your various backup folders and pcs, search for the file types for CN and DN, and expect to find some test files.
2) locations, may not be where you expect them, as the path for the configuration can be anywhere, as long as the path is specified in the PLC configuration - in ControlLogix, on the Module Properties is a tab for RSNetworx, and that will give you the path where the config file was stored.
It will tell you the name of the config file, so that will give you a clue.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. At the moment I'm wanting to pull the configurations off of the network and save them in the new backup scheme. Changes have been made over time and not saved, so who knows what was done.

The other thing to note is that it seems you can access this configuration via an ethernet card as well, which is really nice. All of our's CN and DN cards are in CLX PLC's so at least that is one thing I won't have to deal with.

"All of our's CN and DN cards are in CLX PLC's so at least that is one thing I won't have to deal with. "

Ah, lucky you, I have a variety of PLC5 systems to deal with, hence the USB adapters, and I had to buy a Devicenet piggyback cable to get on to the 1771-SDN cards to check configuration without disconnecting the networks.

Well now it is a matter of digging through the manual and learning the software haha! Nothing I can do :). At least when I'm done I will have a good understanding of the two.

Here is what I figured out for future use.

1. CNB Modules for CLX store a keeper file for the network configuration once the network has been set up with RSNetWorx.

2. Open RSNetWorx for ControlNet and make a new configuration.

3. Network-->Upload and browse to your network (however you may have to connect to it).

4. Upload the configuration.

5. Add the configuration to the RSLogix project and verify that your node settings are correct on your cards.

I have successfully done this, but now I'm having another issue.

I'm doing this on another project and I get the error:

"A scanner in the online configuration is missing; therefore, upload is not allowed."

For some reason the configuration online thinks the card is in Slot 01 of the rack when it is actually in slot 3. I have made a report of the network, and it looks like I will have to rebuild the network and then reschedule it in order to have a proper backup. This kinda sucks, but if I have to do it, I have to do it.

Last post for this thread:

Ended up starting a new configuration and rebuilding the network like I mentioned above. The only real scare was when I downloaded the configuration to the network and lost IO connections.

You need to open up your Logix5k project, add the network configuration file and select the option to reschedule the network. After that point you can run diagnostics on the network to verify everything is "talking" okay and your IO should come back online.