Copley Accelnet and CANOpen

Onstege

So, I've spent the last days trying to commission a couple of Accelnet ADP drives resulting in that everything is up and running, both motors and fieldbus. I can run motors both in profile position and profile velocity mode, BUT as soon as I change any setpoint (position or velocity)during motion the drive stops and disables. No faults or warnings.

Another strange behaviour is that in Profile velocity, controlword bits 4-6 should have no influence but they do...

Have anyone been using those drives and perhaps had similar issues?

Wago-Kurt has an excellent video where one of their HMI:s is conencted to an Accelnet amp, but I've failed to find the Codesys library used. (CiA402.lib)

It should also be mentioned that TwinCAT doesn't seem to like the Copley EDS, since no objects appear under the amps 'Online'-tab.
Manually mapping those with the EDS displays the objects, but they all lack values.

All pushes in any direction are appreciated!

Another strange behaviour is that in Profile velocity, controlword bits 4-6 should have no influence but they do...

Is it in profile velocity or Profile Position Special Velocity Mode check index INDEX 0X6086 from what I can tell a -1 indicates special velocity mode is on

How are you controlling setpoint, over the bus or an outside signal pwm analog?
are you getting anything in your status word?
what do you have to do to restart the drive?

Last edited:
Is it in profile velocity or Profile Position Special Velocity Mode check index INDEX 0X6086 from what I can tell a -1 indicates special velocity mode is on

How are you controlling setpoint, over the bus or an outside signal pwm analog?
are you getting anything in your status word?
what do you have to do to restart the drive?

I've tried both modes, both with the same result of the drive stopping when changing setpoints.

Setpoints are sent over the bus.

Statusword before changing setpoint:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqi87jzh8qaff5n/Before.PNG?dl=0

Statusword after changing setpoint:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bztzy7t0wdemg0k/After.PNG?dl=0

All that's needed to restart the drive is to toggle (1-0-1) bit 4 (Transfer new setpoint)in the controlword. This is what makes Profile velocity mode strange, because it works here too. (Even though the manual says it shouldn't)

I've run Copleys CMO "Basic Moves" example on antoher PC tonight with success, the traffic is recorded so now I just have to decode and figure out what it did that I don't...

bit 7 is turning on can you check index 0x1002

Found it and it was entirely my lack of experience with CANOpen! The default mapping is that the controlword is mapped to most of the Rx-PDO:s. I only updated it in Rx-PDO 1, which contains no other data. When updating the speed or position setpoints, a controlword consisting of nothing but zeroes were also sent in the same PDO...

Thanks for your support and making me look in new directions!

Just for the sake of perhaps saving someone else a bit of headache... The EDS that is supplied by Copley is UTF-8 encoded and TwinCAT2 can only do something useful with it if it is ANSI-encoded.
Perhaps very obvious if your a German software engineer, but as a dumb Swede just trying to make a livin' it's not. Using NPP to convert it is a walk in the park!

Last edited: