Correct way to move Client files FactoryTalk View SE

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
What is the Correct way to move Client files (FactoryTalk View SE)? I have FTVSE Studio installed on a development PC, I created a FTVSE Client file (.cli file). Now I want to transfer the Client file from the development PC to the actual HMI PC (industrial PC). What is the correct way to do this? Can I just copy the .cli file to a USB drive and then copy from USB to the HMI PC? Thanks in advance for any help!

Update: used the basic method above and the copied client .cli file says it is only 1 kb which seems suspicious. Have to check knowledge base

For local applications, I "archive" the project using FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager and then take that around to my clients where I "restore" the application.

If a SE network is setup correctly you just copy the client file to the client PC. It is small.
It basically says go to this server, and open this file. All the work is done on the server. Which is why many folks use thin clients.

If a SE network is setup correctly you just copy the client file to the client PC. It is small.
It basically says go to this server, and open this file. All the work is done on the server. Which is why many folks use thin clients.

Thanks Ken, someone on site basically confirmed this. My problem may be that the server to client network is not set up properly

The assumption here is that you are using a FactoryTalk "Network" type application. For those, you simply move the CLI file to the client machine.

The client machine needs FT View Client installed and also needs to join the FactoryTalk Network Directory so they can see the server. I think this is one of the more common oversights I see.

They might need to run the "Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location" tool so they can join the correct FactoryTalk Network Directory.

If this is a "Local" type application then the entire application runs from a single PC. You would have to copy the entire application (as RedSoxFan3 mentions) to another computer that also has FT View installed.

OG

The assumption here is that you are using a FactoryTalk "Network" type application. For those, you simply move the CLI file to the client machine.

The client machine needs FT View Client installed and also needs to join the FactoryTalk Network Directory so they can see the server. I think this is one of the more common oversights I see.

OG

Thanks I think this describes my situation. It is a Network Distributed application. The client machine does not have FTV Client installed yet, that will be my next step