Crazy question, I know....

Damian, no offense intended, but I think your response is indicative of what Ron has found so annoying.

I was simply pointing out that different brands of PLC approach this task differently, and that what you learn about one brand should not be applied to another.

Yes, I know that Showshocka posted a screenshot from RSLogix and that his question was specific to Allen Bradley. Showshocka has indicated that he's just getting started in theis field. If he stays with it, there's a good chance that someday he'll encounter other brands. When that happens, I hope he'll remember that he shouldn't blindly take everything he's learned about AB PLCs and arbitrarily apply it to the new brand. Those of us who have to be familiar with multiple brands have learned that lesson the hard way.

Steve,
I misinterpreted the first couple lines of your post as having overlooked that Ron did state the context of what he was talking about. I assure you I meant nothing beyond that. If it came across otherwise I apologize. In earnest there was nothing meant to be antagonistic about it, so hopefully you having found my post annoying was also simply a misunderstanding.

And no offense taken, I think everybody is just walking on eggshells lately.

Measure twice, cut once.

The fact that you have two ears and one mouth should be a reminder that you ought to spend at least twice as much time listening as talking.

The above quotes are not directed at any specific individual. We need something equally succinct to help remind us to take time to breathe before posting a response. Suggestions, anyone?

Last edited:
Cool thread !!!

I can only smile at this thread. It reminds me of the days when the web was not yet known as the Web.

Flame? Dare not say this for such insignificant words of blame or expressions of hurt feelings.

Flame is something way past this era. Words are censured. We use $ signs to express our fury. Like A$$...

Ron, here you remind me of another Ron. How many time did we called him tin-skinned? I was calling him a Sissy on a thread and PM'ing him my greatest respect off-line.

I recall telling him that he had to accept the fact that he was tin-skinned and he had to put value on this for only them of this profile could feel what was wrong way ahead of the pack. He laughted.

Now he is dead and I can no longer tell him how much I loved him. Love as to do with respect. Respect for his intelligence to understand tough love.

How can one connect to another when all that is talked about is how to do this with that software?

Ron Beaufort whent always one more step. He looked under the hood and showed some of the magic inside. But as a teacher, he just cannot expect everybody to never question his intents or his conclusions. No blind fate here my friend.

We don’t need no education
We don’t need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the class room

Boring, yes that would be the word coming to mind as to why I do not come here as often as I did before. I find most participants boring. No art, no zen, just lines of code and function blocks.

When an idea is expressed with words like ''no offense intende', or ''Honestly'' I just can't help myself but thinking that the rest of what I'M going to read is bull. What comes next I have heard often... I'm a good Christian... bla bla bla!

Virtue as an argument never gives good end results.

I suppose this is the way communication is to be. This site helps a LOT of people with answers. The one who seek them by providing the knowledge here and now, saving hours of searching and reading, and the one who write them by boosting there ego to the level that they need.

Anyone remembers the days when ''case numbers'' did not exist?

Gosh Ron, don't leave just when I finally find your post atractive...

Ron, how about fly fishing?

Last edited:
Doh
icon9.gif

...and the one who write them by boosting there ego to the level that they need.
Pierre,
For this old recycled guy, ego-boosting has very little to do with why I hang out here. For me, solving a PLC program is is a better challenge than doing a crossword puzzle or playing solitaire. It helps to bring back the years when I was able to contribute something useful to society. I think it is more of a morale-booster.

This site helps a LOT of people with answers. The one who seek them by providing the knowledge here and now, saving hours of searching and reading, and the one who write them by boosting there ego to the level that they need.

Ahh, but Pierre, as you know, your first sentence justifies your second sentence's point!!

NONE of the posts offering recommendations or assistance would ever be written without some little bit of vanity, self-confidence, etc., whatever you want to call it, by the author. But those very posts are helping someone else as well and the recipient of that help probably cares not the reasoning why the answering post was written. So what if a guy gets to keep a bit of his ego?

People help others because the ones needing the help need the help. And, you've done it too, it feels good when you do.

BUT, to all the members of this forum; raise your hand if you only reply to increase your post count. After all--that has to look good on a resume, doesn't it?

Showshocka will be helping others someday--that's just how this thing works. We need help, we get help, we get experience, we give help, we get a little ego-boost...

...then we die.

Especially if we improperly use OTL instructions......

I think ego boost is the wrong phrase. I believe it is really just the satisfaction of helping others that drives most of us habitual posters on this forum. Yes, there's an ego component when you propose an answer that turns out to be right and there are a few global witnesses, but the main driving force is a desire to teach, a desire to help, and that special feeling you get when you make some other persons "light bulb" come on.

Each reply we generate puts us at risk of
1) being wrong
2) being misunderstood
3) hurting someone's feelings

#3 shouldn't really carry much weight. We are responsible for our own feelings. If my feelings get hurt, it's my fault, not because some stranger on the web typed something disrespectful. I am thick skinned though, and I am used to giving and getting a lot of **** in the real world, so these little tiffs don't stir me much.

Nobody got a fat lip or a bloody nose, so there's really no reason to get ticked off, change your daily habits, or carry around any grudges or guilt.

Ron is a great teacher, and probably just needs a break from this stuff. He never did deserve any criticism for his posts other than perhaps he could have left out some detail and been just as effective.

Showshocka spouted off a little bit, but it was nothing...really nothing...no reason to cry, no reason to go to the emergency room, no reason to change user id...he vented with disrespect to Ron, and some folks may have seen his side of things, which was somewhat surprising, but hopefully both of those guys are over it and know that it's not worth sweating...

pieace...

Wow! I missed that "DC" thread first time around. Thanks for linking it. I've just read through the whole thing (yeah, I need to get out more, too). Brilliant. My second ever post on a forum was asking the audiophiles there what the lowest frequency the CD system of recording could reproduce and if it went down to d.c... Wrong question!! Talk about light the blue touch-paper. One guy even asked why I wanted to know, as though the information was privileged. Forums are fun. this one has certainly taught me a great deal more than just plc stuff. :site: