Devicenet and EtherCAT basics training

backtoplc

Does anyone offer online or inhouse training for Devicenet and Ethercat.
I am looking for protocol details etc, something aimed at developers.

While I don't see anything on their calendar for DeviceNet this year, call up the ODVA and see what they recommend.

If I had to develop a DeviceNet interface from scratch in the USA, I would try to partner with Real Time Automation (www.rtaautomation.com) or with Western Reserve Controls (www.wrcakron.com).

If the task was to develop both a DeviceNet and an EtherCAT interface, I would go to Hilscher in Germany or to HMS in Sweden.

I recently did an in-depth evaluation of some servo control systems with Ethernet connectivity, and one of the things I have significant weight to was the system that used the Hilscher COM50 daughtercard. It was significantly better documented, and I have confidence because Hilscher has already passed the ODVA conformance tests.

There are fieldbus books in general, but no developer "textbooks" that I'm familiar with.

If you are planning to develop a product for sale, your minimum first step should be to join the ODVA or EtherCAT Technology Group, get a vendor ID, an buy the protocol specification documents.