Devicenet subnet implementation

EOFFJM

I have a problem where the total drop length of a devicenet network is too long (39m). To prevent that, I am thinking of moving 3 flowmeters from the main devicenet network to a subnet. There is already a subnet on the network that uses 1734-ADNX with a lot of DIOs and AIOs.

If I were to move the 3 flowmeters from the main devicenet to subnet, that means I will have to change the wiring from devicenet to normal 4-20mA wiring for analog current input right? Or is there a way to keep the devicenet wiring and still use a subnet somehow?

Thanks.

Hi there. I do not fully understand your problem. if you have too much bus length a relatively inexpensive solution is to use a CAN repeater.
I am not sure what you mean by subnet, so I cannot figure out a correct answer.
What baud rate is your network using? if you are using 500 K you may be able to get your network to work with your current length if it is possible to use a slower baud rate if this does not affect your data throughput.

Thanks. I actually don't know about CAN repeaters so I will have to research about that.

A subnet is a distributed network that is connected to a main network by using a devicenet scanner.

The baud rate is the highest one which is 500k. So yes, maybe I can lower that to 250k and see if there is no problem.

Last edited:
DeviceNet data mapping can be complicated to explain and follow in simple systems.

POINT I/O by itself is fairly complex on DeviceNet, with the 1734-PDN and the 1734-ADN.

And 1734-ADNX sub-scanners are even more complex.

If your flowmeters have DeviceNet interfaces, you can move them to the subnet side of a 1734-ADNX.

But you have to re-configure the main PLC scanner and the -ADNX sub-scanner.

If you can provide more information about the main PLC and the software tools you are using, that would be excellent.