Devicenet

Rahul3005

Hello ,

How are you guys doing ?

I am planning a visit to old site of ours , the site has been alread commissioned , they have L31 PLC and have a 1769-SDN communicating with some devices on devicenet network.

I have to make some changes in messaging instruction , which i think i have to do offline and then download the program to PLC .
how do i upload the devicenet backup ? what are the things i have to keep in mind before ,download my PLC program ? Is it neccessary to link .dnt file with rslogix 5000 program ? what verion of RsNetworx will i need ?

Please help !!!!

I am completely new to the world of devicenet.

PLC rev 17.00

I believe you will need to have RSLinx for Device net loaded on you computer.
In some version of Logix5000 and Studio5000 it is included in the package i would check before going on site
Also i don't know if that's a pass through the main processor or if you need a 1770-KFD to set up the DeviceNet scanner
It's been a long time since i setup Devienet and I picked up my hardware and RSLinx
for Devicenet before Logix5000 was interdouced

Check with techconnect they can tell you exactly what you need

Hi there,

Uploading from the scanner is pretty easy. Once you open RSNetworx, you can get online with the controller from there using the "Online" button. It looks just like the RSWho button that you'll find on Studio or Linx. So you'll obviously need RSLinx for this as well. Navigate to the controller and then to the DeviceNet scanner that way. Regarding versions of RSNetworx, I think if you have the latest version that it is backwards compatible with older versions, but don't quote me on that. I have V28.01.00 and I have never had trouble getting online with a DeviceNet scanner. I don't know what version Rockwell is up to at this point though.

Once you do this, you can upload the scan list on the "Device" tab at the top of the application and select "Upload from Device." Once uploaded you can see all of the configuration and diagnostic info for the scanner and all of the nodes.

Are you going to have to add, remove or change anything on the DeviceNet nodes (Aka the devices themselves that are controlled by DeviceNet)? Or are you just uploading it so you have the most up-to-date DNT file? I'm only asking because the messaging instruction code is all done in Logix. If you're just using existing data from the current scan list and not needing to modify the data orientation in the DNet tags in Studio then you shouldn't need to change anything in RSNetworx.

Last edited:
Hey Members !!

Does any have idea about devicenet ?

I want to upload a program from L32 PLC have a devicenet scanner (1769-SDN) , communicating with devices on devicenet network.

I have to make some PLC changes offline and then later i have to download the program to PLC.

As per my knowledge , I have to upload the devicenet backup first (.dnt) file through RSnetworx software , later i have to save that file in my PC.

After changing my program offline , i would have to open IO tree, and open the properties of (1769-SDN) , later go into RSNetworx tab , link/select the earlier uploaded devicenet file with PLC , and then save the program and download it to controller ?

Are my steps OK ? or am i missing something ?

what version of RSlinx and RsNetworx will i require to upload the devicenet backup ?

I am new to the world of devicenet.

Thanks and Regard,

Rahul P

Hey Members !!

Does any have idea about devicenet ?

I want to upload a program from L32 PLC have a devicenet scanner (1769-SDN) , communicating with devices on devicenet network.

I have to make some PLC changes offline and then later i have to download the program to PLC.

As per my knowledge , I have to upload the devicenet backup first (.dnt) file through RSnetworx software , later i have to save that file in my PC.

After changing my program offline , i would have to open IO tree, and open the properties of (1769-SDN) , later go into RSNetworx tab , link/select the earlier uploaded devicenet file with PLC , and then save the program and download it to controller ?

Are my steps OK ? or am i missing something ?

what version of RSlinx and RsNetworx will i require to upload the devicenet backup ?

I am new to the world of devicenet.

Thanks and Regard,

Rahul P

The DeviceNet "scanlist" is stored in the nonvolatile memory of the 1769-SDN itself. Unless you are modifying the scanlist, adding or removing devices from the network, then you do not have to touch the network configuration.

Again: the CompactLogix program is independent of the DeviceNet configuration stored in the 1769-SDN. You can edit that program without touching or affecting the network configuration.

You mentioned that you thought you had to modify MSG instructions offline, then download to the controller. That is generally not the case with ControlLogix/CompactLogix controllers. You can create, delete, or edit MSG instructions and the logic that uses them while online and in RUN mode.

If you do have to modify or maintain the DeviceNet network, I strongly recommend getting in touch with your local Rockwell Automation office or the RA TechConnect service and at least download the "DeviceNet Book of Knowledge", or read the Getting Results documents for RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

There was a very substantial change made to how RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx work together that was coincident with v21 of Studio 5000. If you have modern Studio 5000, you will wish to upgrade your RSNetworkx installation.

The RSNetworx integration with Studio 5000 is not tight; the *.DNT file that the 1769-SDN profile points to only helps you associate the two programs with one another. The *.DNT file is standalone, not incorporated or integrated into the *.ACD file.

:site:
Thanks @Ken Roach.

you answer was very very helpful.

does logix 5000 v17 support online editing of MSG instructions ?

MSG instructions have been editable online in REMOTE RUN mode since RSLogix 5000 v2 in 1998.

One common related issue is that if the MSG is currently executing, an online editing change to the MSG instruction itself cannot complete.

If your logic automatically re-triggers the MSG as fast as possible, this can functionally make it impossible to modify the MSG instruction.

In such a case, add an XIC instruction with a BOOL tag that is False to the preceding rung conditions, to stop the MSG from executing temporarily.