DH+ Alternatives?

Long story short...

I would just like to be able to use my "already paid too much for" PCMCIA card and cables. So I have ordered the PC-EXP adaptor (Express card to PCMCIA) from shopdigi.com that several others have said they got to work (see link below). My only fear is the very limited description says Vista and Win7. But I have seen people mention they have it working on their XP machines. So I will cross my fingers...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37595

Let us know how it works out... if they are any good I may start selling them, but if its a pain then there will be to much support needed after the sale

It Worked!

I recieved the card and installed it into my laptop. I haven't used the express card slot before. It seemed difficult to insert at first, but it was just the spring release mechanism in the slot that allows you to push in to spring eject the card. My laptop recognized the hardware and the adapter was ready to use in seconds. I was a little worried about this since my laptop is a Windows 7 machine that was downgraded to XP SP3. I then inserted the PCMK card and it was recognized. I specified the location of the driver I had downloaded and stored on the C drive. The PCMK card was successfully installed and ready to use. I then configured the PCMK card driver in RSLinx and it configured OK and was running. This morning I went out to a machine to test it out. At first RSLinx did not see the network devices and the driver was in error state. I removed the driver and reconfigured it and it then saw all the devices. I believe this was just because I had removed and re-inserted the card. I was able to go online and upload the SLC 5/04 project.

The only drawback is the fragile adapter, card and cable hanging so far out of the laptop. You would want to be on a table top or similar to prevent damaging it.🍻

See attached pictures...

IMG_0865.jpg IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0872.jpg RSLinx.JPG

I recieved the card and installed it into my laptop. I haven't used the express card slot before. It seemed difficult to insert at first, but it was just the spring release mechanism in the slot that allows you to push in to spring eject the card. My laptop recognized the hardware and the adapter was ready to use in seconds. I was a little worried about this since my laptop is a Windows 7 machine that was downgraded to XP SP3. I then inserted the PCMK card and it was recognized. I specified the location of the driver I had downloaded and stored on the C drive. The PCMK card was successfully installed and ready to use. I then configured the PCMK card driver in RSLinx and it configured OK and was running. This morning I went out to a machine to test it out. At first RSLinx did not see the network devices and the driver was in error state. I removed the driver and reconfigured it and it then saw all the devices. I believe this was just because I had removed and re-inserted the card. I was able to go online and upload the SLC 5/04 project.

The only drawback is the fragile adapter, card and cable hanging so far out of the laptop. You would want to be on a table top or similar to prevent damaging it.🍻

See attached pictures...

Can you post the brand / Model Info and the vendor you sourced it from? This question comes up here all the time and most units people have tried failed to work with the PCMK 100% so you info may help some others needing to purchase a upgrade path.

Sounds like you got a keeper on the first try. Glad you found something that would work.

The information is in my posts above. I found this device in another thread also referenced above. It is from shopdigi.com. The key is this is a express slot converter. I don't believe anyone has got a USB to PCMCIA converter to work. They are only good for memory cards.

I have to be curious if Rockwell is buying back PCMK cards to use in building the $2000 USB to DH+ converter. Has anyone ever cracked one open?

Looks like $2300 doesn't get you much now adays. For some reason my boss ordered one not too long ago, without consulting me, the one who would use it. The thing is though, we don't use any DH+ around here. I also still use my serial port for everything. So I guess this will collect dust for quite a while, then get thrown out when I'm gone and nobody knows what it's for. :sick:

2011-09-23 14.26.22.jpg

May want to check on your multiplier at your distributor cause I purchased about 12 of those thus far and I did not evn pay half that.

Mine were 1100.00 and change.

Is that the 1784-U2DHP? My laptop space is limited to ... a laptop, and maybe 6 inches for some paperwork. Where is that tumor gonna sit? No phoenix cable? How do you mount that thing on a backplate? Yikes, I am sticking with my trusty old Dell as long as possible, and serial tunneling to my 5/04s (DIgi) or from a Logix Bridge where necessary.

May want to check on your multiplier at your distributor cause I purchased about 12 of those thus far and I did not evn pay half that.

Mine were 1100.00 and change.

I have no idea what we payed, I don't see the paperwork. I was just going off of US list price at AB. And our distributor is usually about 10% higher than that.

Is that the 1784-U2DHP?

Yes