DH+ Multi Hop Messaging

Ricster

I'm trying to read from a PLC5 controller that is separated by three DH+ networks from the ControlLogix controller that is reading the data. I'm having a little trouble configuring the path from the ControlLogix to the PLC5. Here is my layout:

ControlLogix Processor - Slot 0
DH+/RIO - Slot 1, Port A Configured for DH+ (Node 4)
}
PLC5 - DH+ Channel 1A (Node 1)
- DH+ Channel 2A (Node 1)
}
PLC5 - DH+ Channel 2A (Node 4)
- DH+ Channel 1A (Node 4)
}
PLC5 - DH+ Channel 1A (Node 1)

I have a message instruction set up in the ControlLogix using PLC5 Typed Read. My communication method is DH+ and the path is:
'DH_Plus' (configured name of DH+ port in I/O Configuration)
1 (Address of first PLC5)
2 (for Port 2A)
4 (Address of second PLC5)
2 (for Port 1A)
Destination node address is set to 1.
The MSG block just errors out with Error code 1 and Extended error 311 - "Port not available".

Can what I'm trying to do be done? Any help on how to configure the path would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

interesting

I'd be interested to see if you can bridge across the 2 channels on a PLC5. Please test that if you have a chance and post back.
(i.e. do a test read/write to the second PLC5).

Regards,

Justin

I tried multiple path configurations and was not able to communicate across the channels on a PLC5. The problem is how to refer to the channels in the DH+ path. According to the info I have Port A is assigned the number 2 and Port B is assigned 3 in the path. There doesn't seem to be a way to specify Channel 1A or Channel 2A.

I conferred with some other tech support people and the consensus was that what I was trying to do could not be done. The recommendation was to add a MSG instruction on each PLC in the chain to move the data from one end to the other.

Unless anyone else has more info I guess that is what I'll have to do.

Thanks

Look into multihop messaging via the RA Answer website (formerly known as the knowledgebase). You can set up and program the DHRIO module configuration.