Differences and similarities between plc's and PCs

Also technically, the term PLC is a trade marked term and refers to a specific controller family of just one particular manufacturer. Technically any other company that uses "PLC" to label its product is in violation of the trademark. But the name brand has become diluted through common use, and so "PLC" has become the "Kleenex" of the automation world. That particular manufacturer has chosen not to vigorously protect its trade mark, a de facto surrender of the trademark.

Alaric said:
Also technically, the term PLC is a trade marked term and refers to a specific controller family of just one particular manufacturer. Technically any other company that uses "PLC" to label its product is in violation of the trademark. But the name brand has become diluted through common use, and so "PLC" has become the "Kleenex" of the automation world. That particular manufacturer has chosen not to vigorously protect its trade mark, a de facto surrender of the trademark.

Was it not Allen Bradley?

trivia: PC vs PLC

Back in the beginning before Personal Computers, the term PC was for what we called a PLC. I recently looked at a training manual I had for a TI510 (yes it was a 510) refered to the controller as a PC. This was back in the late 70's and early 80's.
I also still use the term MMI vs HMI. Me not being "PC", the other social meaning.

As John and BobB point out, the "PLC" would usually be termed a "PC".

Whilst the "PC" (as known today) was usually refered to as "IBM PC/AT or compatible"

Oh what fun...:ROFLMAO:

PLC vs.PC

From an acronym standpoint, PLC's were referred to as "PC's" because prior to 1980(??) personal computers did not exist. When the personal computer revolution came about they became PCs.

Also see the attached file that I found years ago. It is an interesting take on why to continue using PLCs instead of personal computers (PCs) as a means of control.

Diman,

Dont feel so bad. These guys are a bunch of A-s-s-h-0-l-e-s. They think because they can program a PLC (or some of them can, a few guys are quite good) that they have the right to be arrogant and snotty to learners.

Word of advise, dont take it to heart. Control is not complicated just takes a little bit of reading. If it was difficult most of these imcompent losers would be out of a job ;)

Francie the B

Remember some machine control was also done by STD or VME bus computer systems prior to the PC (Personal Computer).