Download via Channel 1 to MicroLogix 1400?

wildcatherder

Is it possible to download an RSLogix 500 application to the MicroLogix 1400 via Channel 1, the Ethernet Port? If so, how? I'm in the field without a cable for Channel 0.

Yes. If the ML1400 has an existing IP address then set your laptop in the same range. If it doesn't, you can easily set a new IP from the front LCD screen. You then just use a standard patch cable (others may chime in that it NEEDS to be a cross over, but mine have always auto-negotiated and used a standard lead).

Then set RSLinx to use the Ethernet-IP driver [ETHIP-1]. If this doesn't work (mine sometimes struggles with my eset firewall settings) try using the regular Ethernet driver [ETH-1], but you'll need to add the IP address of the PLC manually into it.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try it out as soon as the customer wires up my cabinet with the PLC inside sometime tomorrow. I had already been using Ethernet as Ethernet/IP to communicate with some Variable Frequency Drives and the PanelView, so the addresses as already set.

I was re-reading your instructions. The RSLinx already has the Ethernet IP driver in use but I remember during development that I couldn't download unless my serial cable was connected to Channel 0 on MicroLogix 1400. Isn't there something I have to configure in RSLogix 500 to tell it which channel to use for download?

Depends how you normally do your downloads. It sounds like the project has been saved with CH0 as the default download path.

If you click COMMS >> SYSTEM COMMS then point it to the plc via the driver you require...then click 'Download'

Hope this helps!

I'm almost there. I can follow you up to "point it to the PLC via the driver you require" Do I just select (highlight) the node under the appropriate Ethernet driver, then click on the Download button at the right?

If that is the case, then clicking "Online" would let me do editing, RUN, etc. Is that the case?

The problem is that I'm not on that network at the moment (or I'd just try it) but I need to be prepared. I'm somewhere in Houston, far from home, with the clock ticking and greatly appreciate your help.

Sorry, not very explicit was i?! Yes, just highlight the destination PLC via the preferred driver and select Download. This should the save a new download path (as per 2nd image).

Again, hope this helps!

Rob

Download1.jpg Download2.jpg