Ebay laptop purchase with RSLogix Software

jshlvr1

Has anyone purchased one of the many laptops for sale on Ebay that are loaded with all the RSLogix software? I am curious as to how hard it is to activate the software as it will have to be transferred to a new owner, correct?

Yes,

the software will have to be transferred.
from past experience of having to do this several times,
the software has to be transferred by the one who the software is registered to.

sometimes they will help, sometimes they won't.
i finally gave up on an oem and i notified rockwell automation of the problem.

even if the seller transferred the license to you, what version are you buying, and is it in support?

regards,
james

The version is 20. I am afraid that Rockwell will not take the time to assist with the transfer since it has to be allowed by who it was originally registered to. I can understand that Rockwell would simply rather I buy new.

Rockwell Software license transfers are very simple: you just submit an online form with the software license information.

It's the bottom link on the left side of this webpage:

https://activate.rockwellautomation.com/

The serial number will be deactivated for the former owner and activated for you.

But I would be very surprised if an eBay laptop purchased pre-loaded with RSI products also included the software license. I'd bet you a case of beer that the fine print in the eBay listing tells you that the license either is not included or that it's not transferrable (read: it's an unauthorized copy), or omits any mention of the license.

Both the fine print and large print claim the license is transferrable. However, it also claims the seller is not the registered owner of the license and that the units were purchased when an integrator went out of business. From what I can tell, Rockwell customer service will attempt to make contact with the registered owner and complete the transfer. I don't know how much effort they will put into it or what the consequences are if they can't make contact. Either way, your paying full price to upgrade or when the licenses expire next year.

99% on eBay are black market copies and once you try to register you will not be able to anyway... Rockwell (AB) used to do a good job at policing ebay and having them removed and also having the sellers banded, they have been slacking lately so more and more are coming out, they will build a PC then make a image of it then just download the image to the new (used) PC they get for cheap, thats one reason you can find them on the weekend.... Friday night they put up the listing and it would end Sunday... Monday RA would look at and not see any listing.... and everyone would be happy (not)

One way is to check the sellers feedback, if they have sold 10 dell laptops that all had RSLogix 500 then they are making copies... or if they are selling 10 at one time then they could of got them all from one plant when it closed up

I think they are thinking that Factory Talk will stop it but its not going to help, as fast as someone can make a good way to make a key, the hackers are making a work around

If the seller is not the owner of the license, then they are stretching the definition of 'transferrable', aren't they ?

It can't hurt to call RA technical support and ask. The activation guys do this sort of thing all the time when companies and facilities are bought and sold.

One thing in your post does raise a red flag; you mentioned "next year when the licenses expire".

Ordinary RSI licenses are perpetual; you buy the license for a particular serial number and can use it forever.

But 'Tookit' licenses are different; they are an annual fee for a much larger suite of software, and the licenses expire annually. That's what my company has.

As far as I know, a Toolkit cannot be transferred from one user to another. There are eligibility requirements and volume licensing considerations.

But again, it doesn't hurt to ask. Most toolkit licenses expire at the end of February of each calendar year.