EDS File Creation Error - Invalid output application

pkelly24

Hi all,

I have been attempting to create an EDS file for a simple earth leakage relay, not many inputs and even fewer outputs. I am using the EZ-EDS program (https://www.odva.org/subscriptions-services/software/ez-eds-download/) to create the file.

I am stumped as to where the ConnectionN Path field comes from and how it is determined. I am currently using a generic path I appropriated from a Rockwell sample EDS file (see attached). Creating a module using this EDS in RSLogix 5000 produces the error seen in the attached screenshot.

EZ-EDS provides a popup (see attached) with pop up fields to fill out to generate a path, but I'm still unsure about what to put in this fields.

Has anyone created an EDS file before and could shine some light on what the error means and how to properly determine what path I should be using?

P.S. I have attached the EDS file I have been working on (currently a .txt file).

EZEDS Cap.PNG Error Cap.PNG

Attachments

• Minimal EDS.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Earth Leakage Relay EDS.txt
    6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hello again:
I had a look at your EDS file. There is no path defined for the IO assemblies so there is no way to define the connection. You need to understand for this device in which instances of the assembly object the device's produced and consumed process data is mapped, indicate this in the assembly section and then define the CIP path in the connection session, as explained in one of the posts I mentioned above.
Below is a graphic explanation. Hope this helps.

20201015_EDS_Inquiry.jpg

Thank you Alfredo, this seems to have fixed my problem.

However, I am now receiving an error code 16#0127: Invalid Output Size (see attached). Do you have any advice with regards to this?

I am trying to take 4 DINT's as inputs and 2 DINT's as outputs.

Code 16#0127.PNG

Last edited:
Hi Alfredo,

I believe my instance numbers are 100 & 150 (from product documentation). Hence my paths are as follows:

Assem100 - 20 04 24 64 30 03
Assem150 - 20 04 24 96 30 03
Connection Path - 20 04 24 64 2C 96 2C 64

I tried using the tool and got it working briefly and was able to see data like the Vendor ID and Product Name but then it started throwing up errors seemingly out of nowhere. Not sure if its important, but I was still able to ping the device from the command prompt while the program was giving errors.

The most popular of these errors were "Driver Status = 58 (Network Error: 0x0033)" & "Driver Status = 58 (Network Error: 0x0000)".

Last edited:
OK, driver starus 58 is when the device does not respond. Please check cable and IP addresses. Please make sure you can PING de device from a DOS te3xt console (DOS prompt). Using the explicit message tag, select GetAttributeSingle service (0x0e), class 4 (assemblyu object), Instancve 100 or 150, Attribute 3 (data attribute ID). The response will show you how many bytes the device responst to the GetAttrSing and you can figured out the size.

That all makes sense, but I have not been able to get past that error (Driver Status = 58 (Network Error: 0x0000)). I was able to ping the device, but the program continued to return that error. Is there an alternate program I could use?

I am not aware of any free software than can do this. You could try to write a Logix program with MSG instruction.

Perhaps your PC has not WinPCAP driver installed, which is needed by Molex EIP Tools. If you download Wireshark this driver would be automatically installed and the Molex tool should be able to recognise the NICs.

20201015_EDS_Inquiry2.png

I have now downloaded and installed Wireshark and am still encountering the same error. I have attached screenshots of what the drop down box looks like for me and also shots of the error. I am connected directly over ethernet, I have attached a screenshot confirm that I can ping the IP address.

Alternately I have set the device up as a generic ethernet module in rslogix and I have mapped the data I am reading off of it onto some tags. Could this help me find the size of the assembly?

Ethernet IP Error.PNG Ethernet IP Error2.PNG Ethernet IP Options 1.PNG Ping Evidence.PNG

This is very strange. Maybe the MAC table need to be refreshed. Please try in text command console the below comand:

arp -d 10.1.1.10 [ENTER]

Also, you can try to see if the List Identity can detect the EtherNet/IP adapters.

20201015_EDS_Inquiry3.png

Can you try using another PC? There is an issue with the driver in your PC, maybe some security software or firewall. Never seen this issue with the Molex tool

Just tried another PC and was able to make it work, thank you for hanging in there with me.

I've checked the returns and the sizes are 8 bytes for the output and 16 bytes for the input as expected per the documentation I have. So I'm guessing I must be entering this into the EDS incorrectly? Thank you again for all the help, greatly appreciated.