Engine Monitor?

Hi guys,

I got some tech support while I was at the plane. The problem with connecting was that in the ini file in Launch, I needed to have just com port 7 enabled (=1) and all others disabled (=0). I also removed the semicolon that preceded the "AutoSense=0" line from [comm server] paragraph. We established a communication link and went on line.

I changed the SP1 on rung 2 to SP0. The addressing was correct and I had readings on the Cmore. The EGTs (all four) from the themocouple module were reading about 467 (ie. 46.7 degrees F.). Although it felt colder, I think these are really close. Normal reading will run around 1300 degrees F. What I would like to do is lose the decimal and just have four digits displayed for the EGTs. Seeing the screen come alive really felt good. We are accually getting somewhere.

The readings on the voltage module were way off or zero and now I need to find out how to scale the inputs to read actual values. Is the scaling done within the ladder program?

I plan to start the engine and see how the readings look for all the inputs, write them down and go from there.

Thanks again, Frank

Thanks Vaughn,

I read this section early this morning and can understand the math and the ladder but when I add this to the program will I use SP0 for both rungs.

Below in Blue is the channels I used in the EFIS system and in red are the inputs in the PLC.

Ch 2 RPM PLC Hi-Speed Counter Input #1
Ch 3 - 6 EGT PLC Temperature Inputs #1-#4
Ch 18 Oil Temp Resistive to PLC Analog In #1 (with resistor)
Ch 20 Amperes Voltage to PLC Analog In #2
Ch 23 Fuel Flow PLC Hi-Speed Counter Input #2
Ch 25 Fuel PSI Voltage to PLC Analog In #3
Ch 29 Oil PSI Voltage to PLC Analog In #4
Ch 30 Fuel Lvl L Voltage to PLC Analog In #5 Ch 31 Fuel Lvl R Voltage to PLC Analog In #6
Ch 33 Bus Volts Voltage to PLC Analog In #7 (with scaling resistor)

If I want to scale for Oil PSI, input #4 I would look to send the scaled result to V2006, Correct? This is a 0 - 100 PSI sensor.
So this is my attempt to add to the ladder:

Vaughn,

I can see if the value is sent to v2006 that there will be conflict, although I don't know exactly what will happen to the value.

I understand that using v2026 keeps the scan continuous, but how does the panel know to read v2026 & v2027. Would v2036 & v2037 work also? Does the panel read all v2000 addresses up to v3000?

I would imagine that I will have to write a ladder for each input channel.

Frank,

I haven't studied your last programs in detail, but a quick look shows that you are using the SP0 bit on every rung. SP0 is a special bit that is only ON one time.

ONLY USE SPO FOR RUNGS THAT ONLY NEED SCANNING 1 TIME, the first scan after turning on the PLC or when switching from PROGRAM to RUN mode.

The one-time scan includes your proper set-up of the thermocouple modules. But DO NOT use SPO for reading in data to the PLC. That task should happen every scan, so on Rung 4 for example, change SP0 to SP1, so that the data is Loaded (LDD), calcualted, and Stored (OUTD) every scan.

Last edited:
Vaughn,

I can see if the value is sent to v2006 that there will be conflict, although I don't know exactly what will happen to the value.

It's just good practice to avoid overwriting values unless you have a specific need to do so.

I understand that using v2026 keeps the scan continuous, but how does the panel know to read v2026 & v2027. Would v2036 & v2037 work also?

Yes but you would still need to assign the Cmore to read this address. I'm assuming That you will have other voltage inputs that need to be scaled. So you would scale the value in
V2000&V2001 and after scaling this would be in V2020&V2021
V2002&V2003 and after scaling this would be in V2022&V2023

Etcetera,
etcetera

Does the panel read all v2000 addresses up to v3000?

It reads whatever you have tags for. In your program it does not matter because of it's small size. You also have the 100 word limit in direct soft to keep in mind. By the way the way you know how many words your program is using is to look at the bottom of the DS5 window. You will see some "boxes" with numbers in them. OK ,online Kseq , Run , the box that has the number of words is next 00151/07680 . In this case the word count for this program is 151 words

wordcnt.jpg

I would imagine that I will have to write a ladder for each input channel.
That would be my guess also, see the above reply

Hi guys,

I did an engine test, some reading and raised some questions.

Yes but you would still need to assign the Cmore to read this address. I'm assuming That you will have other voltage inputs that need to be scaled. So you would scale the value in
V2000&V2001 and after scaling this would be in V2020&V2021
V2002&V2003 and after scaling this would be in V2022&V2023

Does this mean that I should delete my current tag name database and make new addresses for the scaled values. I took a screen shot of my new database but I am having trouble pasting to my post. Would channel 5 start at v2030&2031?

I also changed SP1 in rung 4 to SP4. What I am thinking is, this relay is on .5 sec and off .5 sec. Will this smooth out the display on the panel.

One other thing, the EGTs read fine until the temps go over 1000 F. I would like to lose the decimal and just read four figures. I think if I divide the scaled value by 10 or can I lose the decimal some other way?

I'm learning a little about PLC but may forget how to fly.

Thanks, Frank

What kind of plane did you build? I am a pilot as well and have always wanted to build a plane, just too scared to take the plunge.

I want a Lancair Legacy even though I know I can't afford it. :)

I also changed SP1 in rung 4 to SP4. What I am thinking is, this relay is on .5 sec and off .5 sec. Will this smooth out the display on the panel.
I would use SP1 to read the data on each scan (continuous read). Using SP4 will cause a temperature to bounce up and down in a range for 1/2 second, then freeze on last value for 1/2 second, then take a big jump up or down to the next temperature bounce range.

If the temperatures are bouncing around more than you like, use a programmed "filter" to smooth out (average) the readings. Many examples of programmed filters have been posted in the past. Search for Filters on this site.

Mickey posted this Low-Pass Filter not long ago:

FV = FV+C(NV-FV)

Where:
NV = Latest Data Value Input
FV = Filtered (displayed) Value
C = Constant set by user (range 0.0 - 1.0). The smaller the number, the more dampening.

One other thing, the EGTs read fine until the temps go over 1000 F. I would like to lose the decimal and just read four figures. I think if I divide the scaled value by 10 or can I lose the decimal some other way?
The C-More graphic panel will have a way to set the number of decimal points to be displayed for each value. That is the normal way to increase or decrease the number of displayed digits.

Last edited:
What kind of plane did you build? I am a pilot as well and have always wanted to build a plane, just too scared to take the plunge.

Hi Allscott,

It is a Vans RV7 tail dragger, two place side by side. IO 360 constant speed prop and until the EFIS crapped out I had a full auto pilot. Thousands have been successfully completed and flown. Cruise about 160 knots and and very easy to fly.

This was one of the most gratifying things I ever did (including first solo).

Lancie1,

Thanks, I will change to SP1 and look into the filter. The display is OK as is but knowing what can be done with this makes me want to use as much as I can absorb.

The C-More graphic panel will have a way to set the number of decimal points to be displayed for each value. That is the normal way to increase or decrease the number of displayed digits.

I thought I set up the panel to display four digit, no decimal but no joy. I'll check again.

100_1030.jpg 100_1057.jpg DSC00373.jpg

One step forward three steps back

[FONT=&quot]I really thought I would have positive indications (even if they are a mile off) with this latest program and all the help you guys have giving me but I get zero on the Cmore.

I tested to see that 24V was going to the module. Actual 23.9V
I tried putting 5V to one channel (channel 4) of the volt module to see if data value for channel 4 (v2026) changed. The value read 80000245 but the Cmore read 0.

I pasted the tagname database (I hope) and attached the program file. I would appreciate if anyone could give it a look and see if I have my wires crossed. One thing that popped into me was that on rung 3 I used a LDD for K100 and K65535. Something tells me this should be LD.

Still I wonder why I don't see even crazy wrong indications on the Cmore.

I hope I explained this clearly enough.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]
I tested to see that 24V was going to the module. Actual 23.9V
I tried putting 5V to one channel (channel 4) of the volt module to see if data value for channel 4 (v2026) changed. The value read 80000245 but the Cmore read 0.
[/FONT]

Frank,

So you can see a value of 80000245 in V2026 and V2027 and the Cmore indicates "0". Are you sure the Cmore is communicating? I see you have the tags configured for the other channels but you have no ladder programming for them. So lets place a value of 22 in to V5000 and V5001 (the rpm tag addresses) and see what the Cmore indicates.

Hi Vaughn,

Are you sure the Cmore is communicating?

Since I am seeing valid indications with the EGTs this tells "me"
that they are communicating. Correct?

I see you have the tags configured for the other channels but you have no ladder programming for them. So lets place a value of 22 in to V5000 and V5001 (the rpm tag addresses) and see what the Cmore indicates.

I don't understand the meaning of "value of 22" or where I would enter the value. I am hoping that by entering different values that I can see what the Cmore displays and I may be able to calibrate the different sensors.

I used the scaling example for the 0-100 PSI to build the ladder for oil pres and fuel pres as that is exactly what I have. I don't know where to start with the other sensors as far as building the ladders.

Thanks, Frank

Frank

Frank,

Any value would work, just trying to eliminate comms as the issue. Because you are not writing any thing to that address then it will stay that way until you change it, or you have some ladder writing to that address.