Engine Monitor?

Frank,

I haven't seen anything about your C-more set-up. For example, how and where do you tell the C-More to look at V2026 for Oil Pressure, and so on?

According to the manual, you need to use the C-more Micro-Graphic Programming Software EA-MG-PGMSW, downloadable from the AutomationDirect.com site, to write your C-more program to tell the panel how to read the data and where it is located.

I think you are using the C-more Micro 3" screen. Chapter 5 of that user manual contains the System Setup. Have you gone through that?

Last edited:
Lancie1,

I haven't seen anything about your C-more set-up. For example, how and where do you tell the C-More to look at V2026 for Oil Pressure, and so on?

When I setup the panel I made a numeric display and made the tag name "Oil Pres" and the PLC address v2026. The ladder takes v2006 & v2007 does the scaling math and sends the scaled value to v2026 & v2027. At least that is how I think it works.

I attached the tag name database. Let me know if this answers your question.

Last edited:
Is the N336PF.zip file your C-more program? That is probably where the problem is. It must be setup to look at the tagnames in the PLC correctly, with the right number format for each tag.

Is the N336PF.zip file your C-more program?

Yes, this is the Cmore program.

That is probably where the problem is. It must be setup to look at the tagnames in the PLC correctly, with the right number format for each tag.

I don't know what you mean. The cmore looks for the tagnames? Do you mean it looks for v2026 & v2027 bcd?

Sorry if I am not explaining my problem clearly enough.

Thanks, Lancie1

Frank,

Yes, the C-more will actually look at the V-memory addresses in the DL-06, that you have assigned to each tagname. Unless the values are in the same place in the DL-06 as your tagname assignment in the C-more, then the data will not show up.

I have downloaded the C-more software and am looking at your C-more program now. I havn't spotted anything wrong yet.

When you said the Oil Pressure values "showed as 0", were you talking about the values in the C-more Simulator program? If so, when I select "Simulate Project", then in the Simulation menu, select "Oil Screen", then type values in for Oil Pres and Oil Temp, the values that I typed show up on the simulated C-more screen. This says that your C-more thinks it is set up correctly. The next step is to make sure that your data in the DL-06 is being put into those same V-memory locations (where you have told the C-more to look for the pressure, temperature, and so on).

I am sure that when you completed your last modified C-more program, that you connected your C-more panel, then hit "Send Project to Panel", didn't you?

Last edited:
When you said the Oil Pressure values "showed as 0", were you talking about the values in the C-more Simulator program?

No I loaded the the latest ladder program I have yesterday and ran the engine. The EGTs were working just fine. Although I can not lose the decimal number. When the temp goes over 1000 degrees the decimal shows and the 1 does not. In my program you will see I ask for four digits no decimal, but no joy.

The oil pres and fuel pres have the same math but just 0 on the cmore. I will try to attach the ladder program if you would please take a look I would appreciate it.

Thank for the help, Frank

Although I can not lose the decimal number. When the temp goes over 1000 degrees the decimal shows and the 1 does not. In my program you will see I ask for four digits no decimal, but no joy.
To display 4 digits, I would try 5 digits with 0 fractional. Remember, the decimal point itself takes 1 space. I think you need 1 extra space when you go above 999. the display area may be too small.

Looking at your module setup, there may be an error. On RUng 1, you say the Channel 1 data will be written to V3000. On Rung 2, you say this rung causes it to be written to V2000. Which is correct? are both setup rungs needed. Review of input module manual needed here.

Last edited:
Lancie1,

That makes a lot of sense. Going to make the change right now.

Although I have no ladder rung for OAT (outside air temp) I am displaying an indication on the cmore. It was about 79.something yesterday. Actual temp was about 40. Any thoughts?

The change to 5 digits works in sim.

Last edited:
On RUng 1, you say the Channel 1 data will be written to V3000.

Rung 1 is all that is needed to read the four EGT channels with the Therm module in slot 1.

Rung 2 starts the setup for the voltage module in slot 2.

Rungs 3,4 &5 do the math to scale the inputs for oil pres and fuel pres.

Okay, I went back and looked at vaughns posts. I see now how it is set up, but for your future peace of mind, go to Rungs 1 and 2 now and add Rung Comments about what you just told me! Then there will be no doubts about what you are doing.

Rung 1: Read the four EGT channels with the Therm module in slot 1.

Rung 2: Setup for the voltage module in slot 2.

How did you do the scaling? Why are you multiplying by 100, then dividing by 65535?

Last edited:
I got the example from the voltage module manual. Vaughn attached the example back in post #17

Sorry about the lack of comments, but I just recently started to understand what was happening. I will be sure to make comments as this ladder (hopefully) progresses. Thanks

Last edited:
Although I have no ladder rung for OAT (outside air temp) I am displaying an indication on the cmore. It was about 79.something yesterday. Actual temp was about 40. Any thoughts?
This is a good indication that some data is not going where you want it to. From here it appears that OAT (V2016) should be the value of the Slot 1 Thermocouple Module Channel (EDIT: MAKE THAT THE VOLTAGE MODULE CHANNEL 8 AS SET UP BY RUNG 2. SEE, NO COMMENTS LEAD ME TO MAKE AN ERROR ALREADY!) (V2016 & V2017). In your PLC, make sure that V2016 does not have some stray number left over from pervious programs. Manually Set V2016 & V2017 to 0 (Tools, Memory Editor, Find V2016, type in 0 if not already 0, then click the "Write to Disk" or "Write to PLC" symbol). Then when you switch to RUN, if it changes, some input data is being written there. If it is not the correct temperature, then you can add/subtract an offset to get the correct temperature.

Remember to document your rungs with comments explaining EXACTLY what is being done and why. You will congratulate yourself a year from now when you are trying to remember how it works. I, and many others here, learned this the hard way, by making the same mistake over and over until we finally realized it would be easier to do it right the first time.

If the values from the input modules (temperatures & voltages)) are correct as read, then your C-more can read the values directly off of the channel input points, and no other ladder rung is necessary (except the setup rungs). Your OAT value should be the voltage input on the Voltage Module Channel 8, as set up by Rung 2.

Last edited:
Quick Overview:

1. The input modules are "programmed" or set up by writing values into certain memory locations. Different values cause the modules to operate differently, or to save their data at different PLC memory locations.

2. The data from the module can be used directly, if it does not need scaling. Temperature readings should be very close, if the thermocouple module is set to read the same type T/C that you are using. If your thermocouples are Type J, then the module must be set for Type J.

3. For data that needs scaling, then you simply add a rung that reads the data from the location where the input module stuck it, scale it by some factors, then re-store it to a new location. This location must match your C-more tagname location for each data point. In order to scale the data correctly, you must know the data number TYPE( 16 bit, 32 bit, BCD, Signed Integer, Floating Point, etc), the minimum and maximum input values, and the minimum and maximum scaled values.

4. If no scaling is necessary (temperature readings), then the C-more can grab the data directly from the Input Module storage location, so that no other scaling rungs are necessary. Sometimes temperatures will be off by a few degrees, so then an offset factor can be added on a temperature scaling rung. Thermocouple inputs are usually within 3 or 4 degrees F. If the error is greater, then look for some problem: loose terminal, wrong extension wire, thermocouple connected backwards, thermocouple wire not connected directly to input module (secondary junction points), or bad thermocouple. On a Type J, the red wire goes to the (-) negative terminals, and the white wire goes to the (+)positive terminals.

Last edited:
Manually Set V2016 & V2017 to 0 (Tools, Memory Editor, Find V2016, type in 0 if not already 0, then cllick Write to disk symbol). Then when you switch to RUN, if it changes, some input data is being written there. If it is not the correct temperature, then you can add/subtract an offset to get the correct temperature.
Thanks for this information. A few days ago before the this program the OAT read 150 +/-. Do I have to be connected to the plc to complete this precedure?

2. The data from the module can be used directly, if it does not need scaling. Temperature readings should be very close, if the thermocouple module is set to read the same type T/C that you are using. If your thermocouples are Type J, then the module must be set for Type J.

From what I see these K type T/C reading are really close.

I should be able to go to the airport tomorrow and do some debugging.

Thanks again for the help, Frank

Last edited: