Equustek / Datalink DL3500 issue/finding

Archie

I have found something interesting about the DL3500 and wanted to see if anyone else has came across this.

I am connecting to the DL3500 via USB on my laptop and then DH+ from the DL3500 to a SLC 5/04. Everything works fine on my test setup. When I put it in the field, it would not connect to the DH+.

I brought it back to do some testing and it worked with a 3' DH+ cable. I hooked it up through a 1000' spool and it stopped working. I tried resistors and it did not make a difference. I then began cutting segments off the wire to see at what length it would work again. At about 300', it worked fine.

After working with it some more, I discovered that if I used the DL3500 external power supply and switched it over to external power, it would connect through a 1000' foot spool with no problem, even without resistors. Switch it to USB power and it stopped connecting.

So I am baffled as to why the DH+ cable length would not allow it to work from USB power. It can't be current draw because I am not adding or removing anything. I simply switch from USB to external power and it works fine. I even tried resistors on each end of the cable and it made no difference.

The only thing I can think of is that on USB ppower, the DH+ voltage is lower and degrades too much on long cable lengths. Anyone else have any ideas?