external monitor to view stats from panelview HMI

tripstuf2

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been tasked with adding a remote display on top of cabinet to display current speed/RPMs of machine.(using 4-20ma control). Is there a way to do this stand alone? I have multiple machines with various PLC manufactures and am looking for the simplest and most cost efficient way to add a 15-17" VGA/HDMI display without having to add computer to each. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have probably 20+ of these machines in a few different plants that will all be stand alone conversions.

Maybe a Red Lion display unit? The ones I've used aren't 17" though, more like 2-3". Why does it need to be so large?

The upper management wants to be able to see machine operation speed from anywhere in the plant, so I plan on using a fairly good sized monitor, hence the 17" to display current speed,(throughput RPM's), and maybe current status...whether running or stopped.

The conundrum is there are a handful of AB's, Schneiders, and even a couple of B&R's, Omrons, etc that would need similar setup. That is why I am looking for something "universal" to use..have no problem with any special wiring or programming, just need a solution that is capable of diversity.

Weintek has some small units that are designed to be used with HDMI monitors, they have almost all the protocols used on the market.

Can you elaborate? I would like to keep systems intact and add necessary component to send VGA/HDMI signal to monitor for visibility by management team.

None of the A-B PanelViews have an external monitor support. At most you could get one that supports VNC and run a computer that looks at the terminal.

RA had a PanelView Plus feature that would let you view its screens with a browser, called "FactoryTalk ViewPoint". It was originally based on Microsoft Silverlight, but now it's evidently an HTML5 server.

There are certainly lots of HMI products that would serve your purposes. If I was instructed to do this very cheaply I'd probably try to use a Node-Red Dashboard running on a Raspberry Pi.

But if the instruction was "do this with industrial hardware and a drag-and-drop HMI environment", I would look at Red Lion's video-output-equipped variant of the DataStation, called a "Productivity Station".

Automation Direct also has a headless EA9-RHMI version, and Weintek/Maple Systems has an HDMI-equipped cMT-FHDX that is meant exactly for this sort of Andon/dashboard application.

None of the A-B PanelViews have an external monitor support. At most you could get one that supports VNC and run a computer that looks at the terminal.

RA had a PanelView Plus feature that would let you view its screens with a browser, called "FactoryTalk ViewPoint". It was originally based on Microsoft Silverlight, but now it's evidently an HTML5 server.

There are certainly lots of HMI products that would serve your purposes. If I was instructed to do this very cheaply I'd probably try to use a Node-Red Dashboard running on a Raspberry Pi.

But if the instruction was "do this with industrial hardware and a drag-and-drop HMI environment", I would look at Red Lion's video-output-equipped variant of the DataStation, called a "Productivity Station".

Automation Direct also has a headless EA9-RHMI version, and Weintek/Maple Systems has an HDMI-equipped cMT-FHDX that is meant exactly for this sort of Andon/dashboard application.

Appreciate the responses, I was just looking at the CMT-FHDX-220 and am running it past the engineer for approval...out of all the units I researched so far, this seems to be the most universal and easy to install. Not to mention it is fairly cost effective...Now to hit them with the 10K+ for all the machines they want this on..

I would use the Weintek headless as well. They have a boatload of drivers. The CMORE may not have the B&R.

The Redlion is rock solid if you can get them. Unfortunately the lead times are crazy long on Redlion currently.

Be sure you get your quotes for the -820 model; I think the -220 has gone out of production.

Because these units do a lot more than local HMI, do some research and be ready to propose more than "we can look out across the floor and literally see the screens".

I don't have direct experience with the cMT-FHDX-820 but it makes sense that with two Ethernet ports it can connect to your local PLC-based workcell as well as the enterprise network.

Just a suggestion...
Instead of a large physical display, how about a webbased application that gathers information via OPC from all the various PLCs, and the publishes the information on a webserver ?
Then you can access the information from any portable device in the plant, or any PC in the office.
Ignition comes to mind, but I think to just show a few values from each PLC is so simple that any OPC solution must be able to do it.

If you go for the physical display, then you still have the task how to connect to the PLCs and fetch the information to display.

Just a suggestion...
Instead of a large physical display, how about a webbased application that gathers information via OPC from all the various PLCs, and the publishes the information on a webserver ?
Then you can access the information from any portable device in the plant, or any PC in the office.
Ignition comes to mind, but I think to just show a few values from each PLC is so simple that any OPC solution must be able to do it.

If you go for the physical display, then you still have the task how to connect to the PLCs and fetch the information to display.

The powers that be specifically want a display on each machine to display current speed and a few other details so as they go by areas they can gauge how production is running...have to work with what is mandated by them.

Local Andon and dashboard displays are helpful to provide live data for MBWA analysis (Management By Walking Around).

Spend some time reading up on the MQTT, SQL logging, remote access, and other plant-wide features that those cMT units can provide. Eventually management is going to want to have that sort of thing summarized in automatic reports or on a screen they can consult centrally or remotely, and it's best if you're in the meetings where that scope of work is being decided on.

Local Andon and dashboard displays are helpful to provide live data for MBWA analysis (Management By Walking Around).

Spend some time reading up on the MQTT, SQL logging, remote access, and other plant-wide features that those cMT units can provide. Eventually management is going to want to have that sort of thing summarized in automatic reports or on a screen they can consult centrally or remotely, and it's best if you're in the meetings where that scope of work is being decided on.

I agree 100%. That is why I am awaiting approval to test one of Headless -820 units. Once they can see it working, I can bring up and elaborate on the additional functions, already planned on setting it up to report to my cell and computer. I have been trying for a while to help guide towards more automated approach here, but you know how that goes...once they believe it's "Their" idea, than it most likely will move forward.

Again much thanks,

Pat