Factory Talk View Studio question

rprovidel

Hello, I hope someone help me.
I need to place in Factory Talk View Studio a clock from a PLC register. That is, I need to represent the account of a timer as a clock on the HMI with the format MM:SS.
Thank you very much for your help.
Ricardo.
PS: Sorry my English is not very good

What is the PLC to which you are connecting? SLC 5/04, PLC-5/40, ControlLogix 5563? What have you tried so far to accomplish this?

The SLC 500 and PLC 5 controllers have pre-defined addresses where the clock values are stored. However, in the Logix 5000 controllers you must write logic to retrieve the clock values and place them in tags that you create in the Logix 5000. It will help to know which PLC you are using.

Once you have the tag/address figured out then you could accomplish this a few ways. Assuming what you are displaying is an elapsed time, I would create a Text drawing object with text that says

Elapsed Time =

Then after the text, click the insert variable button and insert a numeric variable and use the tag browser to point to the tag that has the minutes value. Make sure to specify how many digits you will need. Then put a colon and then insert the variable for the seconds tag.

The end result when running could look like this. "Elapsed Time = 12:34"

OG

Last edited:
Could you help me with how to set this up, I'm working on RSLOGIX5000 and the CPU is the Logix5561. Thank you very much for your help.
Regards

Do you have the logic written in the Logix 5000 controller to retrieve the Date and Time?

Rockwell has a Tech Note on their web site that walks you through an example.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38537/related/1

There is an example that installs from the CD. It is located at C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\ENU\V16\RockwellAutomation\Dayoftheweek.ACD

Not sure if it exists for other versions as I delete the samples from my machine. But I would image it is there for all versions.

OG

After re-reading your message........do you actually want the time from the clock, or are you using a timer that you want displayed like a clock value?

Last edited:
I'm using a timer (TON) and the account (ACC) need to take as a clock with MM:SS format to the HMI.
In the HMI apparently can not do, but I think there must be a way to do it in the PLC.
Thanks for your help

Hola widelto, gracias por comentar pero no me queda claro lo que propones, me podrías dar un poco más de informacion por favor.
Agradecido se despide
Ricardo.

Widelto and I were both going off the assumption that you wanted to view the PLC clock in the HMI. Turns out that is not the case after all as your email indicates that you actually wish to display the .ACC (accumulated value) from a timer.

So, to do what you are asking we will need to convert the millisecond time values stored in the PLC to a more user friendly MM:SS format.

Now this can be done in the PLC by adding a little bit of math logic, or it can be accomplished through a math expression in the HMI. Personally I like to do the math in the PLC whenever possible. I like to have a value show up in the HMI and see the corresponding value in the PLC as well.

Which would you prefer? Now if your answer is to do the math in the PLC, my next question would be, do you have access to the project running in the PLC and if so, what revision of RSLogix 5000 software is the project? Do you feel comfortable editing the logic in the PLC?

If you are more comfortable editing the HMI, that's fine and probably is a little easier.

OG

I have no problem programming the PLC.
I've programmed and changed the milliseconds (ACC) to minutes and seconds, but I can not put on the HMI as MM:SS, that is, when seconds reach 59 then switch to 00 and minutes pass 1.
Using mathematical instructions I think I could come up with something, but wanted to know if there is something more simple.
Thanks for your help
Ricardo.