FactoryTalk View Studio ME Multiple Station Control From One Screen

yes, Create a set of display tags for all values. Add logic to each station to compare Selection and Copy or Move values into display tags and you're done. No parameters file no parameter list. Just logic. simple.

Thank you for all of your work on this Operaghost. Good to know I'm not crazy.
Anyone else have a solution for changing the tags in multistate indicators and pushbuttons on a screen, based on the value of another tag (i.e. - station #)?

Is it mandatory that you use FT ME? If not, try something else, like Ignition.

DING DING DING!! It took 17 posts before someone finally said throw away what you have and start over with something different. Usually it only takes 4 or 5. :D

OG

DING DING DING!! It took 17 posts before someone finally said throw away what you have and start over with something different. Usually it only takes 4 or 5. :D

OG
Not quite how I worded it, but sure, sometimes you need stop putting time into something when there are better alternatives.

Please don't take offense, but if there is an option to use something better why wouldn't you??

I agree that it looks like cwal61 method would be the way to go here. Relatively simple to setup in the logic of the controller. No messing with parameters and you can do it all with one display. You still use your buttons for entering zone and station and you then hit your Goto button. The concept is that you have "display tags" in your PLC that the PV is always looking at. Rather than changing which tags the PV is showing us using parameters, we would instead change the data in the PLC display tags via logic.

When Zone 1 Station 1 is selected, the logic in the controller copies the actual tags to the "display tags". When another station is selected, we copy their tags to the display tags. It is repetitive logic, but it is easy logic that you can tuck into a subroutine.

OG

I might have to look into Ignition for future projects. I'm not sure it that's an option for this one.

The Station Control Screen has pushbuttons also, not just status indicators. I guess I could basically map each button and indicator as follows:

When Station X is entered on the numeric display on the HMI:

In PLC:
HMI_Extend_PB (XIC)---> HMI_Entered_Station=X (EQU)----> Station_X_Extend_PB (OTE)

Is this what you mean?

Thanks for all of the help!

You don't need an OTE for a Push button unless you only want to use a XIC in your station logic and create multiple sets of 50 OTE's. Your Zone/Station Selection in series with your HMI push button is enough to determine location. Using Parameters would really only get rid of the compare instructions but would require 50 unique tags for each Push button. So, using a set of HMI tags and compare instructions requires the least number of tags to be created.

You can even get rid of Zone Selection compare in your logic by using the optional expression of the Station Numeric Input. Allow user to enter Zone # And Staton # with the 2 numeric Inputs. In the optional expression of the Station Select Numeric Input put this. ({Zone_Selection} * 10) + {Station_Selection} =?
FYI, you still need to put the Station_Selection tag in the connection tab.

The optional expression would change the Station Selection tag value.

This would make your Station Selection's Tag Value a Unique number for each station.

Station_Selection = 11 for Zone 1 Station 1
Station_Selection = 105 for Zone 10 Station 5

I did this with the multi-state indicator problem to select a parameter for display. But it would require an expression of 50 ifs. The optional expression on the Station Selection just removed the AND Zone Selection out of the expression.

If {Station_Selection} = 11 then {#11} Else
If {Station_Selection} = 12 then {#12} Else

Parameter Files are usually not needed for a PV. They're don't have screen limitations like a Station License for a PC. They are only limited by their memory usage. I use parameters to display 50+ stations of tool life and do it on a License of 15 displays. Parameters are required to display that much information on a limited screen count.

You could make the 50 screens fairly fast using the tag substitution feature in ME by creating 1 screen, copy to new screen and select all, then replace S1 with S2-S5. Once those 5 screens are created. Copy those and replace Z1 with Z2-Z10. Give each screen a unique number and use the global tag to allow the PLC to open the selection. You wouldn't need a GOTO button only a momentary button to command PLC to open screen. You would need a macro or logic in the PLC to return the global connection to zero to allow operator control. But it could be an option.

There are many ways to skin this cat. All of which require some part of something to be done 50 times. As stated in your first post.

Using one set of HMI tags and comparing in the PLC seems to me is the best option to limit the number of tags that are needed and keeps the logic and the HMI the simplest.

Good luck with your project and welcome to Forum.

Thank you everyone for your help. I may go the PLC Logic route, but I was trying one other idea first to avoid having to clutter the PLC code with a bunch of compares for all the pushbuttons, status indicators, etc.

Is it possible to inherit a parameter list or parameter file value through multiple screens?

For Example:
On screen A
#1=10 is set when selecting screen B

On screen B
#2=3 is set when selecting screen C

On screen C
tag value: Zone#1_Station#2

When I try this it appears that only the parameter from the last screen is kept.

Thanks!

You can pass parameters, using the parameter list option. But I have not ever had a need for it. So, I am not proficient at it. Search parameter passing in your help file. To fully understand. Not sure your existing tag structure will allow parameter mapping straight to the plc. But you could do it within the Tag database. You create a Zone folder for each Zone 1-10 and a sub folder for each station 1-5. This would allow you to pick your Zone and then pass that selection to use when you pick your station. I also think you would need 5 station Goto Buttons on your Zone Screen to select the parameter file.

Here is a link to the user manual. Take a look at Chapter 25, page 407

You might want to check this Thread

Also, if you look in bottom right corner of the forum page you'll see a drop down list named Forum Jump. Select Search Forum and search parameter passing. You should get plenty of hits.

If you use the tag data base to create folders, they can be exported to CSV and using copy paste and search replace to create and replicate your tags.

Using the tag data base will allow you to give all your Station tags the same name but mapped to your station's unique tag names in the PLC.

You might want to check this Thread

This is an updated reference to a possibly useful Rockwell technote link by the above thread. I used this for an HMI project several years ago and have experienced no issues with the technique. Maybe there is a more mainstream method to write-back to the processor in newer versions. It has been a while since I developed anything new with FTVME.

Passing a Parameter File Variable to a Processor Tag