FactoryTalk View version 8 user-defined tag limit issues

gschneider

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post so I apologize if I am doing anything wrong.

I am working on converting a Wonderware app to a FTV app and have run into an error stating:

"The tag database contains the maximum number of user-defined tags allowed (5000)"

I already have about 22,000 tags imported into the app, so I don't see how I'm limited to only 5000. The only thing I can think of is that the majority (if not all) of the current tags are Analog and this started happening when I began importing Digital ones.

So how would I go about importing the rest of my tags? All tags are aliases for tags inside 4 separate PLCs.

Thanks!

Welcome!!

I'm guessing your using SE?

Sorry im not too sure about the Tag limits, but why are you using tags?
I know in wonderware, you create tags with the addresses in and other data but you can use direct links in FT
e.g. {[Process_CIP]TT5979} where [Process_CIP] is the connection name to the PLC & TT5979 is the name of the referenced tag.

Welcome! Is it a redundant HMI server? It sounds like there is some corruption - issue shouldn't happen. Did you try rebooting your computer? No, seriously - reboot it and try again. If that doesn't work try this.

Navigate to the CACHE folder of the HMI project and delete the RDMDATA sub-folder. It should be C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\SE\HMI projects\ or something close to that

Try also Navigate to the TAG folder of the HMI project and delete the CAC, CRC, and CTL files (Caution: do NOT delete the DAT or the DB files).

Then reboot again.

AshleyParr,

I am using ME.

I am using HMI tags because there are too many tags to retype direct referencing for every single one. 3 of the PLCs are PLC5s and one is a control logix, which would make rebuilding the app with direct referencing an even bigger headache.

AshleyParr,

I am using ME.

I am using HMI tags because there are too many tags to retype direct referencing for every single one. 3 of the PLCs are PLC5s and one is a control logix, which would make rebuilding the app with direct referencing an even bigger headache.

ahhhhh, ok no problem!

You are using ME...

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36839

2016_05_24_09_15_09_Start.png

I guess it appears I will have to use direct messaging. Darn.

Thanks for the help everyone! If you can think of an easier work around to the tag limit still let me know!

If you got it working, great.
Here are some other related items that may help out:

There is a utility on the Rockwell knowledgebase that will convert your HMI tags into Direct Reference. Very handy in your case (22,000 tags) to have it all automated.

Direct Reference is faster turnaround for communications. HMI tags double the read delay.
Ex. If your display update rate is 1 second, then Direct Reference updates once per 1 second. BUT, HMI tags will update once per 2 seconds.

Keep in mind that the Wonderware application is probably talking to several PLCs and collecting and storing thousands of data points possibly months worth of data. It could potentially be talking to every PLC in your facility. It is a Supervisory system.

FactoryTalk View ME (Machine Edition) is an operator interface typically meant for an operator controlling a single piece of equipment or a single process. Typically only one or two PLCs are involved. But, it is for an operator. Each piece of equipment would typically have its own operator interface.

FactoryTalk View SE (Site Edition) would be a more appropriate conversion target for a Wonderware application.

We aren't talking apples and oranges here, but definitely apples and really fricking huge apples.

OG

Keep in mind that the Wonderware application is probably talking to several PLCs and collecting and storing thousands of data points possibly months worth of data. It could potentially be talking to every PLC in your facility. It is a Supervisory system.

FactoryTalk View ME (Machine Edition) is an operator interface typically meant for an operator controlling a single piece of equipment or a single process. Typically only one or two PLCs are involved. But, it is for an operator. Each piece of equipment would typically have its own operator interface.

FactoryTalk View SE (Site Edition) would be a more appropriate conversion target for a Wonderware application.

We aren't talking apples and oranges here, but definitely apples and really fricking huge apples.

OG

Hahaha I like that line too.

I do agree that SE would be easier but it's the customers choice. So far, I've been able to be creative enough in ME to make it work. It's only referencing 4 PLCs, so it's not super insane.