Fanuc Robot R30iB to Logix 5000 Ethernet/IP Safety

RockyLeafs

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a Fanuc Robot (R30iB) to a Logix 5000 over Ethernet/IP using Safety.

I have some experience with the Yaskawa Motoman EIP Safety.
Not sure if the Safety inputs and Outputs work the same way, or if the Fanuc need to be set up a certain way to allow full safety control from the Logix controller.

Any example code or a map of the safety IO would be very helpful.

I'm using the AOP for Fanuc in Studio 5000.
I have using the default 2 bytes of inputs and outputs.

The Fanuc robot has to have the Ethernet/IP option, the DCS option, and the CIP Safety option (which is often missed by the person that places the order for the robot).
The safety I/O is mapped using the appropriate option in the DCS menu. Its fully configurable.

The last project I did with 7 robots used a Guardlogix with Studio 5000 v32 and the AOP was v3.001.

There was enough I/O going back and forth so I standardized on i/o of 64in/64out and the max of 8in/8out of safety. There was a lot of safety zones that needed permissions to invade and zone occupancy status. No reason to get stingy, lots of room in the PLC.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Last edited:
We have all the options.
I made sure we would be properly ordered the equipment.
(Purchasing had me review the quotes 3 times so only myself to blame).

Can you point me in the right direction for Mapping in the DCS for the Safety IO. I"m scrolling through the Fanuc documentation but nothing really standing out at me.
If you willing to show some of the safety coding in Logix 500 I'd like to look at that.

We'll be using V33 (maybe V34 if I wanna try that), and AOP with V3.001.
There will be 2 Fanuc robots on this machine.

I'm going to take a v32 project I did with 4 robots, convert it to v33, and strip out the customer's sensitive stuff. I can zip that up with the (4) robot's code. I don't have Fanuc's offline s/w so that is the best I can do. PM me an email address I can forward it to.