Ferrule Crimpers

Arik, have you seen the price of those things? Hundreds of $s AU. The little dear I speak of costs me less than $100 AU.

I can afford to "lose" one or two (stolen I mean) without going broke.

I "lose" crimpers quite regularly on job sites. Also I have never had the need for front crimping - side works fine.

Legrand have introduced a new tool that cuts, strips partially, then you put the wire into the top bit and it twists the wire and removes the last of the insulation, carries the ferrule in a strip, put wire in the side of the tool into the crimp, crimp and remove. Plastic toy also. The crimp consistency does `not last long and the tool has to be calibrated. Still makes a horseshoe type crimp, too hard to get in relays. Takes too long - I am quicker with sidecutters, loose ferrules and my favourite dieless crimper - and I get a crimp that can be fitted into small terminals because it is square. Does not cost me a fortune to replace either.

Have used most popular brands including Weidmueller, Phoenix etc etc. Like the one I have now best.

it is a lot easier using a ball type allen key to do them up.

Anyone ever seen these for sale?

Only hand types Alan not suitable for electric screwdrivers. I will have a look the next time I am in Total Tools for you. (A great boy's toys shop in Sydney).

I have used the Legrand type of crimper and they are fast but the crimp quality is not the best. On very fine multistrand wires I have seen the pins pull off. I am looking at a Weidmueller that crimps square from the front.
Here is a link to the a pic of the crimp.
http://catalog.weidmueller.com/pictures/PV_056730000095.gif

Thanks Bob, but I have tried the Total Tools here and no luck. Was hoping there might be something out of the States.

Regards Alan Case

Alan Case said:
We use a lot of 5mm hex head screws in the panels and it is a lot easier using a ball type allen key to do them up. Trouble is if you are using a power driver then the only 1/4" to 5mm bits I can find are a straight allen key, not the ball type allen key.

I realise I can grind a ball into the ends of the bits but it would be nice to buy the ready made item.
Anyone ever seen these for sale?
Regards Alan Case

Alan, buy a set of balled allen keys and cut them off with a metal cut off disk. I bought a set of balled allen drivers from a guy at a garage sale and he told me that's how he made them..

The power driver takes a 1/4" hex bit so I would need to weld the cut offs onto 1/4" hex stock. All a bit to hard.
Regards Alan Case

We use drillmotors. Dewalt has a drll with a two speed gear box for driving with more torque. However you could just use a 1/4" socket set to adapt the driver to the bits.

True, I could easily weld the 5mm ball type allen key into a 5mm socket.
I use a Metabo power driver, it is palm sized and torque adjustable and has a magnetic 1/4" socket.
Regards Alan Case

Bob

As I wrote the Weidmuller cost here about US$150
But it worth.
We have few crimpers like that.We try to keep them in our hends and not to "loss "
them.
All those plastic tools are garbage except
This cable stripper.I have one for over 4 years,I bought few I thought it would not last but it great.
http://www.jokari.de/jokari.asp?cid=266

Try to send the link of what you have I would like to compare it to what I have.
I agree the price of this tools is extremely high, but when you deal with thousands of wiers every projects, good tool is halfe work, even if I have to "sacrifice" one time to time.

I agree with Arik. The Weidmuller has a very good crimping tool. I have used them to a great extent. I have even worn out a few of them - after thousands of crimps.

Alan

I have Phoenix Contact crimper which crimp like that, and it good crimping.
I use this crimper for 4-10mm^2.the flat side give better contact in CBs contactors ect.
at least in my humbel opinion.