FTSE 6.1 Server with FTSE 7.0 Studio

iluntasun

Hello,

I am currently working in a plant with a Network SE installed. One HMI server, one engineering workstation (with Studio) and several clients, all of them 6.1.

My working computer has FTSE Studio 7.0 installed. Every time I try to access the HMI server of the factory it warns me that the application will be updated to 7.0, and that the process is not reversible.

At this moment, I chicken out and press "Cancel".

My question is, what if I press OK? The application will get updated, but what else will happen? Will the clients still be able to be served from the updated application? Will the engineering workstation be able to edit it?

Should I downgrade my computer to 6.1?

I have looked in the documentation but I can't seem to find the exact answer to the question...

Thanks!

I know for certain that you cannot use a mis-matched Studio installation to work on an SE Server.

I've never done an in-situ upgrade that succeeded. All upgrade projects are done offline on fresh hardware.

I recommend that you create a Virtual Machine with FactoryTalk View Studio SE 6.10 on it, and use that to work on this installation.

Yes, you are wise to hit Cancel. Unfortunately, Studio does not allow you to support other revisions of SE applications. As Ken mentions, a separate VM really is the way to go here. Uninstalling one rev and installing an older rev can introduce a slew of issues as well.

OG

Thank you, that is the way I was inclined to, but it is always reassuring to have a second opinion.

Sadly, the tendency I see is that I will have to end up having a VM for each customer, as opposed to a single one with everything installed... is this the general view as well?

Again, thank you for your -swift!- answer.

I don't see the need necessarily for separate customer VMs. At least I have never had a case where that was necessary.

I have separate VMs for different products like FT View where I cannot maintain backwards compatibility. Separate VMs, or separate snapshots usually are sufficient for that.

I keep a clean Win7 VM as a baseline. I can always clone it and install whatever needs to be installed. Or if what I need to do is temporary, then I install the software on the baseline and then revert to a snapshot to erase whatever I was doing.

OG

For my integrator work I have a separate VM for each customer and snapshots in each vm as some customer have different versions of software to support the production equipment on their floor.

This is easily done as we have a Microsoft EA and can make as many VM's as we choose with no additional cost. The OS licensing model you have available to you may steer you in one direction or the other.

This is easily done as we have a Microsoft EA and can make as many VM's as we choose with no additional cost. The OS licensing model you have available to you may steer you in one direction or the other.

That is an important and often overlooked aspect of using virtual machines. Technically, each virtual machine requires it's own operating system license. Snapshots are very handy when this is an issue.

OG

A clone is a separate VM that has essentially been copied and pasted. How the VM gets created doesn't matter. It requires a separate license.

There appears to be some debate as to whether a separate license is required for "linked" clones. But, I never use linked clones so I haven't run into that issue yet. I have always used full clones.

Microsoft introduced XP Mode with Windows 7 which allows one Windows XP virtual machine license. But only one. Many people seem to ignore that they only are allowed one VM without purchasing an additional license.

Some server operating systems will allow multiple VMs to run on a single physical machine. So, licensing can vary from O/S to O/S. But in general, treat a VM just like a physical machine and license accordingly.

OG

So when you create a clone, you are exerted to delete the licensing information in the clone and supply a new one? Then it isn't a clone anymore.

So when you create a clone, you are exerted to delete the licensing information in the clone and supply a new one? Then it isn't a clone anymore.

You are mixing physical with legal. Physically yes it will work the only issue with a clone is if you try to network them you have to change the NETBIOS name and sometimes depending on what you are doing you need to change the SID in a windows OS to avoid any issues.

This is where SYSPREP comes into play or making clones from ESXI pretty much does a SYSPREP for you in a matter of speaking as long as you allow it to and provide the input for the changes.

From a legal standpoint all VM's need their own license no matter how it's created but this also can vary slightly depending on which OS you are using and what type of license you have. Many times your are using volume licensing so when you making a clone nothing has to changes as the license key is the same.

I understand what you're saying. I was just making a small joke. I do have licenses for the VMs that I use. But VMware Workstation and Fusion make it easy to clone them. I usually only use one VM at a time. But i do have some clones of a XPMode VM.

And, nothing needs to be deleted necessarily.

If I have a physical machine running Windows 7, it is expected that I can produce a license to go with that machine. Many PC makers include a little label on the PC itself from Microsoft with your license # on it.

A VM is no different. If audited, can you produce a license for that VM regardless of whether it was created by cloning or manually.

OG