garage door opener

I 'M GLAD TO MAKE EVERYONE'S DAYwhat I lack is resources which u fine gentle men seem to have an abundance of. here's what i've got if you can help.i've got a dl 305 rack useing directsoft program, input devices, upswitch, down switch, stop switch, up limit, down limit, safety switch reset switch, output devices - up relay, down relay, courtesy light, lube light,operation
door must go up when "up button" is pressed
door must stop when it switches the "up limit"
door must stop process when " stop button" is switched
door must resume up or down when the respective switch is pressed
door must stop when the " safety button " is pressed
door must go down when the "down button is pressed
door must stop process when " stop button " is switched
door must resume up or down when respective switch is pressed
door must stop when the safety button is pressed
courtesy light must come on in up or down operation & remain on for 60 sec after the up or dwn button is pressed
continued

WHAT'S A CAP LOCK KEY?! :)

Dude, it helps if you can write in complete sentence even if English is not your native language. In the business world, Instant Message type writing is not readily understood by most.

I still have NO IDEA WHAT you need help with. If you are a student in Tri-City, I probably know your teacher and he's won't be too happy. If this is a real world problem, post the logic and STATE what you have done to troubleshoot.

Mr. Eagle,

I have a few questions myself..

1) Using a 305 to operate a garage door is akin to shooting a house finch with a 10ga shotgun loaded with 00 buck at point blank range. Therefore is it approperate to assume that you are a student of PLCs? amd this is a class assignent?

2) Last time I looked at my garage door opener at home it had ONE button that would cycle up/down/stop etc.. However the industrial doors have seperate up down and stop buttons..So what's the application? Home or shop?

3) Did you take a look at the link I previously posted above? It was done in DS4 but not spicificly for a 305. However you can fairly easily convert it.

4) Do you have a DL305 manual like this one? http://web2.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d3user/d3user.html
If not, I would strongly suggest downloading it and start reading.

thanking you for your reply

mike , you called it. i am a first quarter student in plc's as part of hvac training. we have a garage door opener on the bench as a learning tool, in fact, i'll be writing my first program on this glorified unit. problem is i was gone all week to montana to bury family and haven't been able to look at the unit to draw a ladder diagram, so you've alrady helped me quite abit with the opoen and close ladder. yes, i do have the manuel, only wish i could have foumd it as fast as you sent it. this is the first site i've ever become a member of and frankly i'm quite amazed at the response to the post.

My first time on and almost everyone got a good laugh, well wait it only gets better, see one day i'm gona be real good at this and you guys, ? hym ! mentors. thanks again

Flaming Eagle

I'm gonna be real good at this ?
Somehow I have my doubts . If you can't work out the basics of this yourself , and post requesting the difficult bits , then your are either lazy or dopy , or possibly a combination .
I might be reading this wrong , but I'd say your attitude doesn't you a long way to solicit help

Marin, the gist of this post - and all others with "give me" orders or requests - is that you will only get AFTER you have done some of the work yourself.

Most of us here are professionals who charge or get paid - sometimes dearly - when real customers ask for real solutions.

We are usually glad to help, but will not do it for you.

Ask your teacher what "plagiarize" means.

Sorry Rota,

I'm stuck with this "stop and resume switch".

I apologise one more time,but since i saw whole program written in LADDER i thought someone can put a link or something in FBD.

P.S will this progam,linked up work in Siemens simatic manager.
Sorry for being noob.

Tnx

Garage Door Opener Refurb...

So after reading this, I can almost guarantee you guys are going to consider me nuts, but here goes.

What I'm starting out with is an old Overhead Door, model R80 CZ residential garage door opener, 110VAC 1PH, with 24VAC controls. Currently, the motor is controlled by an electromagnetic relay, which seems to act like a reversing contactor, with the light controlled by a thermal light delay. Not sure if anyone else is familiar with these, but it uses 110VAC off the motor to heat up an element, which causes one leg of the delay to bend and close the circuit against the other.

The machine itself is fine. I'm just a tinkerer who collects garage door openers, and I'm trying to find a way to not only keep them running, but upfit them to current safety standards - IE: adding in non-contact safety sensors as required by UL325-2010, and updating the existing built in safety device - a basic pivot bar which detects flex between the rail and the power head, and is adjusted with a wing nut pressing a spring to control how much flex is required to activate the safety switch.

What I would like to do, is have a programmable controller, either onboard control, or PC uploadable control settings, and have the ability to use either 1 button to control the door, or a commercial Open/Close/Stop station. I'd also like to add in a safety system, either something like a 24VAC Omron beam, or a safety edge, or both. As far as programmability, I'm looking to be able to program things such as the courtesy light timer, a travel timer as a back up safety system, what actions to take if it encounters an obstruction (stop, run up 1 sec, or reverse to full open), flash lights on safety trigger, things like this.

I was looking at parts on eBay, but the more I looked, the more I realised I'm not sure what all I'd need to do this. I know I'd need the PLC itself, and some type of single phase either reversing contactors or relays, breakers or fuse blocks for overload protection, another relay or contactor for the light control, then a way to program the PLC - most likely from my Windows7 laptop. Beyond that, I'm not sure what's needed. So, here goes the questions:

When buying a PLC for something like this, is there a brand that is better for a project like this? The only two brands I've heard or seen frequently over the years are Allen Bradley and Siemens.

Is thre a specific type of PLC that I need to have to do what I'm looking for?

For the motor control, is there a specific type of contactor or relay that would be recommended for a 1/3HP motor with an external starting capacitor?

What would I need to operate the courtesy light?

What's the simplest way to program a PLC for something like this, or what application would you recommend to upload programing to the PLC?

I would prefer to have something that I could change some of the settings at the PLC, but how much complexity will that add to the programming?

I'd also like to have a N/O momentary button (I'll most likely build a wall station for this) to control the light, and another that I could push and hold for approximately 1 second to lock out radio controls. (I say this realising that I would have to have seperate input terminals for the radio controls) Could a noob like me do this?

I'm open to suggestions. If y'all have a different way that you would do it, I'm all ears. I'm looking for a project to keep myself busy with for a while, and this seemed like a good venture.

Thanks in advance. :)

SeaTex,

check out FactoryMation.com been using Teco SG2 series of PLR (programmable logic relay) since around 2006.

the software is free and it does simulations also so you can test first.
( i use ladder mode instead of FBD )

they don't cost much, and expansion module are available.

haven't had one die yet.

kenny