garage door opener

For the motor control, is there a specific type of contactor or relay that would be recommended for a 1/3HP motor with an external starting capacitor?
You said that the original door opener had a 24 volt AC control circuit and electromagnetic relay (contactor) that controls the opener motor. Probably the motor has Forward and Reverse winding terminals.

I would reuse the 24 VAC controls (instead of trying to buy another motor contactor), and look for a PLC that has the capability of 24 VAC inputs. From past experience, some of the Automation Direct DL models allow 24 VAC inputs, and there are a few others but not many as 24 VAC is not commonly used in PLC control circuits. It is mostly used in HVAC and there are some special-purpose programmable controllers made for HVAC control that have mostly 24 VAC inputs and outputs. As for your PLC outputs, you can get relay-type outputs on most any brand of PLC, that allow almost any AC voltage level from 6 to 250 VAC to be used.

There are many programmable relays that would do the job, except for the possibility of needing 24 VAC inputs. If you can work around that and use either 120 VAC inputs or 24 VDC input switches, then you could use a programmable relay with free programming software.

If you do choose to replace the 24 VAC contactor, then you probably would want to use a Reversing contactor (or two contactors) with a 24 Volt DC coil (to allow easy interface with almost any brand and model of PLC).

Last edited:
The Automation Direct DL-105 models F1-130DR and F1-130DR-CE have 6 input terminals (X4 to X11) that allow using 24 VAC inputs. (The basic description says the inputs are 24 VDC, but read the specifications to see that the last 6 inputs also accept 24 VAC or VDC). The outputs for the 130DR are relays with a voltage range of 12 to 250 VAC, therefore can be used for your door opener 24 VAC existing controls.

One great thing about Automation Direct (Direct Logic made by Koyo) PLCs and other equipment is that they will tell you up front exactly the cost, and will sell you one online at any time. You can get a used remanufactured DL-105 model F1-130DR from DirectLogic for about $159. You can upload the PDF-type DL User Manual and Software Manuals for free, or pay for printed copies. You can also get a free limited copy of the DirectSoft programming software. They also have free online seminars and videos for various tasks, including how to use the DirectSoft software.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ogic_105_(Micro_Brick_PLC)/PLC_Units/F1-130DR
-

Last edited:
Check out FactoryMation.com. I have been using Teco SG2 series of PLR (programmable logic relay) since around 2006.
It appears that there is one Teco SG2 model SG2-8ER-24A that has four 24 VAC inputs and four relay-type outputs, and also runs off of 24 VAC. But FactoryMation does not appear to sell that particular model, and it is the only Teco that has 24 VAC inputs. (It looks like Teco does not offer the SG2-8ER-24A in the U.S.)

If you use a Teco from FactoryMation, you will need to throw away your existing door opener controls and buy 24 VDC versions for your control power supply, contactors, sensors, and indicator lights.

Compare the total price for a Teco, along with a new 120 VAC/24VDC power supply, new output contactors, door sensor photoswitches, and so on, as opposed to buying a PLC with built-in 24 VAC inputs and that will run on your 120 VAC door supply circuit without a new 24 VDC power supply.

Last edited: