GE FANUC 90-30 communications problem

Dohcom

Hi, I just got a series 90 30 PLC and am trying to connect it to my laptop.
I have the cheater cable connected to a USBtoRS232 into my laptop.
I have checked all pinouts and all looks good, also the LED'S on the PLC all look fine PWR,OK and RUN are green.
Have tried VersaPro and the SerialCommTest program to no avail, all my com settings seem to be fine also.
Could the problem be the USBtoRS232 adapter cable?
and might i need to just get the RS485 to USB adapter instead or could the problem be the PLC itself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Nathan, i actually made the cheater using that circuit and its 100%,

Thanks Steve, all my Com settings are correct in Versa and Windows Com port settings, Speed, parity, stop bit etc all the same at GE Fanuc default, also tried that serialcomm troubleshooter program that goes through different settings automatically to no avail, so im thinking its a compatibility problem with the USB/RS232 adapter

What is the OS on the PC?

If its W7 then you need to install it in the "compatible mode" it will install as just a exe but the comms will not work, try un-installing it, then right click on the install exe (setup) and then click "troubleshoot compatibility" and then... after it installs when you run it for the first time do the same thing and let it run as a XP compatible

Also see our videos http://www.plccable.com/comm-support-videos/

Look for the VersaPro about half way down the page

Thanks Geniusintraining, its Win7 64 bit, ill give that a try but i think i might have a fault somewhere as im getting an indicator light on a digital output but when i check it with a meter there is no voltage at the output

Thanks Geniusintraining, its Win7 64 bit, ill give that a try but i think i might have a fault somewhere as im getting an indicator light on a digital output but when i check it with a meter there is no voltage at the output
Some output modules have fuses on the Common, is there a red "F" on top of the module?
Output modules are usually powered from an external power supply, is it operational?

More details may help someone give you a better answer.

Sorry lads, yeah the power wasnt set up right for the card so i dont think ive a Hardware problem. Im thinking its the USB/Serial adapter thats the problem as ive just tried it on an xp machine with versapro and also proficy machine edition. Both applications give me an error on connecting. Versapro gives a time out error and Proficy ME says unable to go online:Error 8502 Unable to make connection with target, another program is using the communications port. I think ill just have to get a computer with a basic rs232 port

Thanks Nathan, im going to try a computer with a standard rs232 port before i invest in a USB cable to be sure the PLC is 100%.