Getting parts for my trainer

kapooski2012

Greetings members of the PLC world...

I've been using some used and discarded parts to build my PLC trainer. I have found a AC- and DC-powered sensors with solid-state outputs from Banner model SM2A912LVAG,I've included the website to help you to help me and explain what I should do to make it work. So far I've connected the device with small light, 110vac
http://www.walkeremd.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/Banner VALU-BEAM 912.pdf
The LED on top of the device is on, I look into the lens and I see some kind of red reflection. I'll wave my hand in front of it and my my small light does not go out, but if and move the optical device the small light sill go out for about a millisecond. The device has two wires (br,bl). I am trying to make sense of what I'm reading,I just can grasp the concept, do I need some kind of reflector... Jut need a simple explaination how the switch works, in plain English (not my first language)

thanks

Kapooski,

Your Banner model SM2A912LVAG photosensor is a polarized retro-reflective type, which means it has the beam transmitter and receiver in the same housing, will work with shiny objects, and needs a reflector to bend the beam back to the point of origin. Any object that interrupts the beam path between sensor head and the reflector will cause the sensor output to switch states, either to ON (dark operate) or OFF (light operate), depending on selector on back of sensor. Hook your 120 VAC hot wire to the sensor Brown, and hook your load between sensor Blue and 120 VAC Neutral. Your sensing range is 1 to 15 feet. This AC-powered sensor has a SCR output that is rated for 10 miliamps minimum (must have that much current to work) and 750 mA maximum load.

http://www.bannerengineering.com/training/subtopic.php?topicID=A1_02_020

Yes, a bicycle reflector or almost any type of reflector should work.

Last edited:
kapooski2012, you are seeing the infrared light of the transmitter, the receiver is the device that does all the work. If you see the receiver led come on when you block the path, it should be working properly. Look on the input card when you block the sensor, you should see the input come on. However, if you do have a retroreflective device, same principal, look at your input card, you should see change of status when blocked and unblocked.

Thank you both, right now it's sitting on a bench in my garage not attached to any input card, but I will take notice when I do hook it up to my PLC. I also have access to some reflective tape, that should the trick for reflective material...maybe hook it to a 110db horn for testing lol

Last edited:
Maybe [I will] hook it to a 110db horn for testing, lol.
Yes, you MUST hook it to some type of load, because it will not work properly with no load (due to the solid-state SCR output).

Last edited: