Hardware question - Programmable display?

I'm looking for a panel-mount programmable input / display device. Not quite a PLC... but I know there are dozens of folks out there that might have seen something like this. (I first thought of Red Lion, but I don't see what I'm looking for.)

Here's what I've been asked to come up with:
We build machines that have sometimes have a motorized 'elevation' adjustment, by means of a gearmotor attached to 4 heavy-duty jacks. There isn't usually a readout of the height of the machine; we just use a tape measure. We want to have a readout of the height, using a linear or rotary transducer, which is an easy task. (that's why I thought of Red Lion and their panel meters)

However, is there a simple 'programmable' limit switch / display that is available? Let's say that the height is 48.25", and the display says so. Now I want it to raise to 51.75" by means of a 10-button input. Is there such device? :confused: (Basically it would be a single function HMI)

have a look a the Mitsubishi FX3 plc with a touch screen (4 colour)
all PLC manufacurers have mini shoe box PLC's this is just one MFG.
the redlion HMI can also take the height info and be used to control it.
this is purely budget orientated.
the sensor you use could be the costly device.
have a look at your motor system - maybe a servo system with a straight HMI will work out cheaper

Panasonic has a small PLC in the form factor of a panel-mount temperature controller.

http://pewa.panasonic.com/automation-controls/plc/fpe/

I believe all the buttons and both displays on the front are programmable. It comes with a handful of I/O (including high-speed inputs which could interface to a linear transducer).

Panasonic-FPe.jpg

hi John
you have reminded me
use a PROCESS meter not temperature controller
but it looks the same

steelblue48310 said:
Now I want it to raise to 51.75" by means of a 10-button input. Is there such device? :confused: (Basically it would be a single function HMI)
10 physical buttons, or do you mean a numerical input on the HMI ?

To me it sounds as a job for a small simple operator panel.
There are many such small panels.

10 physical buttons, or do you mean a numerical input on the HMI ?

To me it sounds as a job for a small simple operator panel.
There are many such small panels.

10 physical buttons would be best... that way the user could enter the desired height, and the motor would respond and stop at the proper spot. Trying to stay away from an actual HMI, due to budget constraints. What brand or model operator panel are you thinking of?

10 physical buttons will be less expensive than a micro operator panel ?
Buttons + box + cable + terminals + wiring + PLC inputs = ?

edit: If you have a small display (operator panel) there will be a numerical input for "free".

What brand or model operator panel are you thinking of?
Would depend on what PLC and protocol in question.

Last edited:
Would depend on what PLC and protocol in question.
Jesper, I don't think there IS a PLC, and the question is maybe "can it be done without a PLC but with something else"?

Let's say that the height is 48.25", and the display says so. Now I want it to raise to 51.75" by means of a 10-button input. Is there such device?
You must have a device with output capability, as well as input and display capability. Yes, there is such a device.

The Panasonic looks okay except it only has 5 number buttons, so the operator would have to be trained to shift the buttons. Proably as Ian said, some brand of process meter or process controller that has a number input and analog output would do just fine. Process controllers have analog outputs that can be set by the user, something like these Red Lion or Omega process controllers. Process controllers come in a variety of configurations. You need one that has a Process Variable current input, and a current output setpoint, changable from the front panel and scalable to inches. Many process controllers do not have 10 number buttons, but use Up (^) and Down (v) arrow keys to change the numbers. The longer you hold down a direction key, the faster the number changes. Most process controllers have PID outputs, but you need one that also has a linear output, so that your Setpoint is only scaled and sent out on the current loop.

https://www.mrosupply.com/product/287333-Red_Lion_Controls-Electrical_Counters_&_Controls_Rate

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=CN7200_Series&Nav=vhpa04

Last edited:
http://oceancontrols.com.au/Process-Meters.html
this is what I mean by Process meters I am fairly sure red lion offer these also
these are scalable Process meters than do have pressetable values
However if you want multiple height settings
I recomend you let us know your budget - shoe box PLC with a 3.5" HMI is about A$500 some have either analogue in (Low Res) or A/B pulse input

All of this is still *way* early in the thought / development stage. There isn't a PLC involved in this project (yet)

Just doing my legwork at the moment to create a direction to go towards. As for the 10-button 'input' method; it doesn't need to be that way. I might even go towards the 'recipie' method where the device is pre-programmed with 5 or 6 landing points to choose from, instead of direct entry. I dunno! Just wanted to investigate different hardware specs and such.

Thanks for the comments so far... :)

I like the Horner unit... I was quoted $900 for their analog-based input device; (MiniOCS model #HE500OCS053)

A 12" linear transducer is around $325. So for less than $1500, I should be able to get this installed and working. An actual budget hasn't been determined, but for a $100K machine, $1500 extra isn't that bad!

I will continue to research the other suggestions as well. :)