Hardware question - Programmable display?

I haven't done anything with the Click PLC's from AD but they get good reviews. You could put a Click and a small C-more Micro for less than $400.

as it is early still have a look at a servo motor control with an interactive control panel
this could be surprisingly cheap and easy to setup

Try a keyence they have a good product and the softwear is resionabley priced
vkv_topimage.gif

OK... got the Unitronics M91 device here to play with, and a 12" linear transducer as well. The Transducer is 1K ohm. The Unitronics software is free.

The problem I am facing now is the 10VDC (or 4-20ma) 'source' needed to make this work. I have thoroughly searched this forum, but I only see a few posts about hand-built 'calibrators' or 'testers'... Is there a manufacturer that offers a din-rail mounted device that can do the trick? ($50 or so?)

I certainly can build a voltage-divider circuit, but I would be concerned about the stability of the output. If the input to the divider circuit were to drift a bit, the output could change too much.

Ideas? Thx...

OK... got the Unitronics M91 device here to play with, and a 12" linear transducer as well.
The Unitronics M91-2-R1 has an analog input (so you can bring in your transducer measurement), but it has no analog output (so you will not be able to send any new measurement setting out of the Unitronics PLC). You can only read whatever is there now.

There is an add-on Unitronics IO-LC1 I/O Expansion Module that has a built-in 12/24 VDC power supply that you might could use to power your transducer. If 12 VDC is too high, you can run 12 volts through a Signal Conditioner to convert it to 10 VDC. (The costs are mounting, it may have been cheaper to go a different route.)

Now I want it to raise to 51.75" by means of a 10-button input. Is there such device?
Your Unitronics M91-2-R1 has an anlog input to read in the existing measurement from your transducer, but it has no analog outputs. If you can send out digital commands (UP or DOWN) to change the measurement, then it will work as is, but if you have to send out an analog number such as "51.75", then you will have to buy an add-on module with an analog output, such as the Unitronics V200-18-E2B.

Last edited:
The problem I am facing now is the 10VDC (or 4-20ma) 'source' needed to make this work. I have thoroughly searched this forum, but I only see a few posts about hand-built 'calibrators' or 'testers'... Is there a manufacturer that offers a din-rail mounted device that can do the trick? ($50 or so?)
Do you have a DC power supply (24Vdc) then a 4~20 mA load is easy.
alternatively if you are using VFD's then the 10V is avilable from almost all of those
the alternative is to purhase a 12 Vdc adjustable power supply these will usually 'Tune down' to a low enough voltage - WARNING
measure and record this voltage for future operation or the analogue positioning will be incorrect.

Your Unitronics M91-2-R1 has an anlog input to read in the existing measurement from your transducer, but it has no analog outputs. If you can send out digital commands (UP or DOWN) to change the measurement, then it will work as is, but if you have to send out an analog number such as "51.75", then you will have to buy an add-on module with an analog output, such as the Unitronics V200-18-E2B.

Right... analog output isn't needed. Just a reversing 3-phase starter and a small gear motor will make the movements. Accuracy isn't that crucial; within 1/4" of the target height will be fine. I'm just amazed that there isn't a simple (cheap) way to get a realtively stable 10 volt output from something, since 0-10 volt devices seem to be everywhere! o_O

I'm just amazed that there isn't a simple (cheap) way to get a realtively stable 10 volt output from something, since 0-10 volt devices seem to be everywhere!
There are many ways to get a 10 volt output from something. A PLC output driving a relay contact (which is fed by a 10-volt power supply) would do the job. I guess you could do that with one of your Unitronics outputs. Many 12 VDC power supplies can be adjusted down to produce 10 volts.

The question is "what are you doing with the 10 volts? If your gear motor is 3-phase AC, then where are you using the 10 volts? Is not that for your transducer input into the Unitronics?

There are plenty of 10 VDC power supplies, as cheap as $14.95. Google found dozens:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=sola+10+vdc+power+supply&oq=10+V+DC+power+supply&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i13j0i13i5i30l3.359.7718.0.11906.28.18.3.0.0.5.906.7282.1j0j1j4j5j3j2.16.0.les%3B..1.0...1c.1.2.hp.-RfL9a2hVlM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.eWU&fp=2c98378c806c0d9&biw=1024&bih=615

Last edited:
OK... got the Unitronics M91 device here to play with, and a 12" linear transducer as well. The Transducer is 1K ohm. The Unitronics software is free.

Which model did you buy? They offer analog outputs to give you zero to ten volts...

You say linear transducer, this is a feedback device and you want a zero to ten volt input from it? You can do this with an analog out as a power source as long as the transducer is just a pot, it should work fine. I have seen this done.

You can get a 10vdc supply pretty cheap too, for a clean separate source, and that's the direction I'd go at this point.

http://www.pulspower.com/index.php?reqNav=product&objectId=33#

or

http://www.wici.com/products/function/power-supply.html