HART Modem and software recommenmdations

Drexelbrook is one of these companies that does their own software. I had to buy the ProComSol USB version of the modem just for that device.

Odd, I've used the Microflex adapter I've mentioned with HRTWin for Drex's cut meters.

Odd, I've used the Microflex adapter I've mentioned with HRTWin for Drex's cut meters.

Yeah, I should have said the Drexelbrook *approved* modem. Sorry.

I ended up calling them to get their recommendations for the modem, and this is why I have the same modem in the BT and USB varieties. :/

Yeah, I should have said the Drexelbrook *approved* modem. Sorry.

I ended up calling them to get their recommendations for the modem, and this is why I have the same modem in the BT and USB varieties. :/

Gotcha.

Siemens PDM - single point license
It is relatively inexpensive but is huge installation task.

I find it much more fussy about making a connection than Pactware. I've had PDM fail to successfully upload.download to a device, where Pactware would with the same USB HART modem.

One does not expect support for Pactware, it's freeware.
I do expect support for PDM and support has been dismal.

PDM V6 had a very useable feature, LifeList, that would find and connect to a single device, point-to-point, without the 44 steps of creating a project. It was ripped out of the next version, probably because the Teutons despise 'user friendly'. (I can say that because my last name is Teutonic).

I failed to mention PDM in my first post because I consider PDM a pain. I never know whether it's going to connect. I don't have that same reservation about Pactware. PDM does have a large library of HART devices though. So for less $100 (USD) it has a place in an integrator's toolbox.

I've used PDM with Siemens devices and other manufacturers, not a lot but maybe 10 times/year. I don't have any issues with connection.

I usually execute it inside a virtual machine (without any extra software).

If you install the all the devices that come with PDM, it will install all HART DD.

One does not expect support for Pactware, it's freeware.
I do expect support for PDM and support has been dismal.

The CodeWrights driver can be problematic, my partner never did get his PC to properly register it in his PC leaving me to do all of the Hart work (hmmm, might have been his plan all along...).

+1 on the support. It's not great.

you should be able to pickup a 375 on ebay for pretty cheap. Thats what I did and what I use and never had any issues connecting to any devices.

Just be aware that the 375 is officially retired and has very limited support:
Emerson_statement_on_375.jpg

i have Devcom2000 from procomsol. ive never downloaded any DD's but generic mode has been good enough for me for most things.
I was given a licensed copy. i dont know if id pay the price if that had not been the case, but then again with DD's i bet it is way better.
i dont have their hart modem. i bought a maktek viator 232 hart modem. and it works great on my usb serial adapter even though they say it wont.

i have used pactware for rs485 devices such as foxboro and it was pretty good so if its like that for hart which i assume it is, well then thats great.

I purchased the USB version because one of the areas that I was going to use it in was at the ELPO tank. This way I could set up the laptop outside of the booth to limit the chance of getting ELPO goop on it. Something to think about... :)

This is what i use :
Modem HART : FXA195-G1 from Endress+Hauser
Software:
Devicecare (field care free ) only for endress equipment
prolink III for emerson (micromotion) flowmeters
Pactware for any brand different from emerson

With this package I can cover everything, you have to download DTM drivers as needed.

We ended up with a Emerson Trex unit that I have only needed once, but we have a person on staff who deals with a lot of Hart enabled devices and he likes it. Sometimes two of us need it on opposite ends of the state, so he is looking into a 2nd option that would be a USB to Hart modem and some software. It is hard to justify another $6k tool that sits idle 95% of the time.

We ended up with a Emerson Trex unit that I have only needed once, but we have a person on staff who deals with a lot of Hart enabled devices and he likes it. Sometimes two of us need it on opposite ends of the state, so he is looking into a 2nd option that would be a USB to Hart modem and some software. It is hard to justify another $6k tool that sits idle 95% of the time.

If all you need is HART and not Honeywell's DE.

ProComSol's software package lets you check in and out a license from their server. As long as its shared between the same device types...

iOS to iOS.. Android to Android, PC to PC. the licenses are different due to the app stores for each phone company.