help for timer problem--noob

I have been searching online for projects to complete with our plc sim, but have found very few..
Chris

Here are some of the classic brain teaser projects.

1. One button push to turn an output on then push the same button to turn the button off.

2. Simon says, write a program that "records" the inputs, then plays them back in the same order and time. P.S. I use a DL06 with this program to troubleshoot intermittent hard wired relay logic, the only difference is that I have the ability to make the playback in 1 second intervals if I desire.

Chris,
It is very refreshing to see a young person take such a interest in actually creating something with his own hands and mind.
To help encourage your growth in the PLC world I have a MicroLogix 1000 PLC that I am willing to send you for you to work with. It will work with the free RSLogix 500 software that Bering Sea Sparky gave you the link for. You will need to get a programming cable for it but you can get them pretty cheap ($15) from http://www.plccable.com/communication-cables/
Just send me a PM and I will ship it to you later this week.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Bullzi,

I applaud you,

That is a very nice thing you have offered to this young man.

It is people like you that keep my faith in this world alive.

Bravo to you sir. :geek:

And I agree it is inspiring to see someone so young take an interest in learning Automation.

I foresee a bright future ahead of him.

BCS

Try a HMI program too

You may want to play with a HMI ( human machine interface ) program also. Automation direct has free software with a simulator built in. It's called C-More micro.
http://support.automationdirect.com/products/cmoremicro.html

It use koyo address system so you can understand how they work together, also the AD website has tons of examples for both.

Keep it up and just use your own logic to dream up things, Halloween and motion in xmas lights are fun projects.

Great ideas!!

Thanks for all of the ideas.
They will all go on my todo list.

Bullzi, I very much appreciate your offer. I will contact you.

Wow! What a bunch of great replies. Looks like I might be hanging out in here a little more often.

We do have beaufort's channel subscribed to on our YouTube. (Thanks dwsoft)

I will attempt your project also, milldrone.

Bering sea, thanks for all of your help! That sounds so cool being on such a large ship. Do you guys go out for weeks and months, or a trip a day? It sounds so cool! My dad flies airplanes, and I will be starting glider lessons soon. Never been around a boat though.

I can't believe I procrastinated posting my question on this site. I thought it would look foolish among the other complex questions, but this place is awesome!! (Dad was right). He joined here when he was playing with a machine before he got it to work, but now he said I can use this account, as he knows I will have millions of questions in the future..
Got to get to homework and piano now, just saw all of the replies this morning, and had to respond....

Thanks

Chris

I see Bering C Sparky mentioned thelearningpit.com. I would second that. The Logixpro simulator is around 40 bucks and is a great learning tool.

Good luck!
Dave

It use koyo address system so you can understand how they work together, also the AD website has tons of examples for both.

Since some of the A-D products can be set to communicate with either Koyo or Allen Bradley SLCs, with one of these you could experiment with panels on both types of PLC.

Okay, here are the 3 steps for a small beginning PLC program (which has appeared on this site before):

1. When switch S1 is pressed, Light L1 should be OFF. L2 and L3 should be ON.

2. When switch S2 is pressed, light L2 should be OFF. L1 and L3 should be ON.

3. When switch S3 is pressed, light L3 should be OFF. L1 and L2 should be ON.

(You will need 3 pushbutton switches or 3 toggle-type switches. You can use the LED indicators on your PLC (or your simulator program) for the Light Outputs.)

The Logixpro simulator is around 40 bucks and is a great learning tool.
True, but it will run for 15 days free. That might be nice to find if it will be worth paying for a permanent copy. I recommend the CD version for serious students. That allows moving the program around between different computers. LogixPro will run on Windows XP and also on Windows 7.

Last edited:
L1, you have arisen from the dead?, l still believe you give the best practical examples for code, Ken +Ron for tech, me for sarcasium

I would be surprised if a young fellow ( even a old fellow) couldn't get it for free ( just saying, NOT promoting)

Traffic light

It took dad and I about two hours last night, and we got the traffic light complete. It was way easier than I thought. I would like to post it here for critique, but don't know how. I have it in PDF form.
I think we are going to add left green arrow and left yellow arrow or left turns next. We will only run the left turn part of the cycle if a sensor shows traffic to be waiting to turn.

I'm working on one button output reversal as suggested above. Like my original project, this seems easier than it is.

If anybody knows how I can post the PDF of my ladder logic, let me know.

Thanks.

Chris

(y) (y) :D

All Right,

Good Job, that did not take you anytime at all to learn, way to go.

To attach something just look below the box you fill in when replying to a thread.

It is in a box maked "Additional Options"

Push the Attach Files button and it will bring up another box.

Press browse and get the file from where you have it stored in your computer.

Then press Upload, it will take a few seconds, once you see it attached just press close window on that box.

Then press Submit Reply and thats it.

BCS

Last edited: