How to setup Several license clients to Automation license manager on remote server.

10suwe

Hi

Has anyone experience within using Siemens Automation License manager as a license server?

The case is I have a virtual environment with several servers and I would like to have all my licenses hosted on one server, So I can install all the different types of Software on all the PG's and then if there is a free license at the host, it should be possible use any of the local PG's, and when closed locally on the PG it should be release so any of the other PG's can take it for use.

I have installed ALM Version 6.0 on both the host and a PG.

And I have already setup allow remote connection on port 4410.

Hope it makes sense :nodi:

I've done that but on a much smaller scale. I used to have to run multiple VMs with different versions of TIA Portal (before they could co-exist) and S7 Technology. I installed ALM on the host PC and on each guest PC. In each guest PC, I added a "Host-Only" network adapter and named it LAN_Licenses or something similar. Then, inside the guest,I found the IP address of that adapter. Inside ALM, add a PC and type in the its IP address, which is the guest's host-only network adapter address with its last octet changed to "1".

Something similar should work for you. Your VM has to be able to reliably ping the PC that's hosting the licenses. Then add that PC's IP address to ALM. I would give you screenshots and better steps, but I don't have that setup any more. One caveat I'd emphasize is to make sure you close the software or do a full shutdown of the VM (don't suspend it) to make sure the license releases properly. It usually isn't a problem, but I've seen it not release.