How to transfer Project from one PLC to another

thewalkerist

Hey guys, our s7-300 broke down yesterday and i wanted to take the same project from it and transfer it to another s7-300. But i do not know how. And if i do this do i have to rewrite most of my project? Cant i just transfer it?

Can someone help me with this?

What is the part number of your CPU? What is the part number of the new CPU?

If it has a MMC (micro memory card), you can take it out and insert it into either the same exact part number or newer compatible part number of CPU.

-old cpu is 6ES7 312-1AE13-0AB0, CPU312, simatic s7-300
There are 2 6ES7 322-1BH01-0AA0, DO 16x24VDC/0.5A, Sm322
There are 2 6ES7 321-1BH02-0AA0, DI 16x24VDC, Sm321
And lastly there is one 6ES7 334-0KE00-0AB0, AI 4/AO 2x12BIT, Sm334

-I will probably find the same cpu and buy it but here is a question if i wanted to change to a better plc, say S7-1200 or smthng like that what would you recommend?

The more direct replacement is the S7-1500 PLC, but there is no need to upgrade, you can use a 6ES7312-1AE14-0AB0 which is available brand new. You can take the MMC (micro memory card) from your old cpu, and plug it into the new CPU.

If you replace your PLC with an S7-1200 or S7-1500, then you have to replace all the I/O cards, and if you have an HMI, The CPU312 only communicates via MPI, and S7-1200 and S7-1500 have no MPI, so you either have to reprogram or replace your HMI as well. Does your system have an HMI? What is the part number of the HMI?

it has an HMI and you are right changing would be problematic. I think changing the PLC with the same kind would be the way to go. I dont know if 6ES7312-1AE14-0AB0 has a MMC though. Lets say its all gone to shoot and MMC is not an option. I have the project but if i change the PLC do i need to reassign all tags and everything at the Step-7? How would i download the old project to the new plc?

The new 6ES7312-1AE14-0AB0 is fully compatible with your 6ES7312-1AE13-0AB0. You can replace it with either CPU.

You remove the MMC from your old CPU and insert it into the replacement CPU (-1AE13- or -1AE14-).

The MMC has your program stored on it.

But, if your old MMC did become damaged as well, you would have to also buy a new MMC, at least with the same memory size. What is the part# of your MMC?

Then...

a) if you have backup copy of your STEP 7 project, you would download it to the new CPU with the new MMC.

b) if you don't have a backup copy, create a new STEP 7 project and write a new program from the beginning based on how your machine works (good luck!).

Last edited:
To download, first connect your cable to your new CPU with new MMC.

Open Simatic Manager
Open your project, or Retrieve your project if your backup file is a zip file.
Go to Options -> Set PG/PC Interface
Check that your selection is PC Adapter (Auto) if you are using the USB-MPI/DP cable.
Highlight the your Blocks folder in the project
Click the download icon in the toolbar.

In addition to everything that sigmadelta wrote.

Even if you have a backup STEP7 project, it may be wise to try and fetch a backup from the defective CPU. It can happen that the backup is not uptodate.

This is the order which I would proceed:

1. Attempt to upload the program to a new backup.
Create a new empty project in STEP7, then use Upload to PG. If succesful compare the old backup with the uploaded program. If there are differences, investigate these and decide what to do about them, incorporate them in the previous backup or discard them.
Load the updated backup program in a new CPU with a new MMC card.

2. If 1 is not succesful, install the old MMC card in a new CPU.
If the CPU goes to run, then similar to step 1 perform an upload and do a compare with the old backup etc.

3. If 1 and 2 are not succesful, load the old backup program into a new CPU with a new MMC card.

After 1, 2 or 3, if the CPU goes to run, check that the machine works OK.

You guys were right. MMC is gone to heaven. :D

They sent me the pdf file and a file with a lot of folders. Im guessing i can open this in simatic manager but i dont know how :(

Can you guys help me?

yeah i've managed to get it and download the programme to the new plc. It was a zip file. I've retrieved it and then downloaded it to the plc

It's all good now. I want to thank you for all your great help guys. Without you i wouldnt have been able to solve it :D Thank you sincerely.