I am not trying to be a salesman, but this looks cool.

We use a similar device for backing up the programs of our machines (bosch plc) I think it's a portable hard drive @ 1 gig and makes resetting operator changes quick and easy. Very handy if you keep it up to date.

Kind of nice, but I've rejected it as it can't hold multiple programs. I guess it could be especially handy for the no-memory module Micrologix types, but they are cheap enough to just have a spare one already programmed on the shelf.

Why does it really really REALLY bother me that in this day of 'Open Standards', every PLC / Drive / Parameterized thing-a-ma-bob out there has it's own cludgy way of maintaining settings?

What I wouldn't give just to have everything keep it's program, parameters, setup stuff, startup stuff on a standard compact flash type card, and have a USB configuration port (or at LEAST DTE RS-232).

System backups

Better yet why not have them networked so you can be backed up on a server. Server would be on on UPS and if its really critical have the server mirrored. No more sneaker net, no more secret hiding places to put floppies, no more taking the flash memory home in someones pocket accidently of course... Theres always a better way to get the skin back on a cat.
Pete

How do you get the program into the 1747-PSD ?

If it can only be done by connecting it to a CPU, then I cant see that there is much advantage to using an EPROM.

For those of us who are OEM suppliers to customers all over the world: What we really need is the ability to send program updates via the internet and to download the program to the PLC via a simple and inexpensive utility.

With interchange there was a utility that could do just that (INTERVIEW).
But no such thing exists today.

For now it seems that sending EPROMs via mail is the only option.

And ControLogix don't even have EPROMs (thats the main reason why I don't like Contrologix).

It's not exactly true that the CLX platform does not have an EEPROM, but it certainly isn't as clean as the PLC5's were. While AB will sell you a CLX PLC with the processor and memory board put together, they are in fact two separate parts. The end user can swap out memory boards if they want (just be careful of rev level). AB does sell CLX memory boards with on-board flash EEPROM that mirrors the on-board RAM. So, theoretically (since I've never done this) if you whack a PLC you should be able to pull the memory board off of it and stick it on the new PLC and be back up and running. You could also update customer sites the same way.

Elegeant? Absolutely not!!
Functional? More or less.

Keith

I purchased one of those - I only used it a few times. I think you can download from a PC into the unit and then from the unit to one (or more SLCs) Also used it to upgrade firmware: suck out the program, flash the new firmware (with the firmware module), load the old program. If you use eproms then the unit looses most of its usefulness.

Sam

Kamenges,

yes I know about the NVRAM memory boards for the ControLogix. As far as I understand, they retain the memory content after power-down.
That means that the working memory is the same as the "backup" memory.
There are three problems with this:

1. You can't get back to from an undefined state (programmers error) in an easy manner by simply loading the backup memory because the backup memory and the work memory is the same.

2. Its economically impossible to use the NVRAM boards in the same way as EPROMs for the posting of program updates to overseas customers (my experience is that 90% are never returned).

3. The NVRAM boards are not in the same way as EPROMs suited to be installed by everyone.