IP Changes in ControlLogix 5500, CompactLogix L32E, and MicroLogix1100/1400

kmayreis

Hey everyone,

I've recently returned to the automation world after several years absence. I have been tasked with changing the network scheme of an entire plant.

I'm dealing mostly with Allen Bradley PLCs with outdated firmware, and old versions of Linx, Logix 500 and 5000.

I've done a proof of concept on changing the IP in a CompactLogix L32E. I did it via Logix5000. After changing it, I cycled power on the PLC and the change persisted. That's where my question comes in:

Is there something I need to do for any of these processors (see thread title) to write the IP changes to memory? I expected the CompactLogix in my test to revert to the old IP after reboot, so when it didn't I began to wonder if they would all take the change and retain the new IP after power cycle.

When I left the automation world, I moved to IT and now I have a hybrid role where I do both. Maybe I'm thinking of network switch configs that have a running config and a startup config?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Kris

The changes are persistent as long as you don't enable BootP/DHCP.

Definitely power cycle the Micrologix after making changes even if they seem to keep right on trucking.

I am not sure if a power cycle is necessary on the Compactlogix.

They are different in how to change and make the change take. MicroLogix do have to be power cycled (as OkiePC indicates) but the Logix PAC's don't. It sounds like you know how to change the IP address and once you hit apply it should take. I always do a download after that so I don't know if that's required or not but I never have to cycle power.
Welcome back.