ISA Tagnames.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I usually use ISA tag naming conventions but I'm unsure of what is most commonly used for an ISA tag name for a solenoid valve.

Would it be YV-01? YVO-01? Something entirely different?

Link to my ISA naming chart.

I tend to use 'XV' for valves, solenoid or otherwise. The 'Y' is more for the actual output on the control system.

Everyone implements ISA a little different but thats by far the most common I've seen used.

XV it is then.
I was wondering because I have another piece of equipment where the OEM applies a very liberal interpretation of ISA symobols and used YL for solenoid valves, which doesn't match up with the chart which I got out of an ISA book, my guess is the OEM was thinking L because the coil is an inductive load.

The 'Y' is more for the actual output on the control system.
Steve are you saying that you would tag an output YV501 and the device wired to that output as XV501? I tend to keep the same tag in the PLC program as I use for the device.

Most people around here (the Alberta Oilpatch) tend to use SV-01

Of course, these folks consider that they have special needs.

I'm also working on a brewery project right now that uses SV for
solenoids. Have also seen SOV used.

Out of curiosity, what do you use for fire, gas and H2S detectors?
That's one area where I can almost always get an argument.

Alaric said:
Steve are you saying that you would tag an output YV501 and the device wired to that output as XV501? I tend to keep the same tag in the PLC program as I use for the device.

Nope. I am with you in that I prefer to tag the output the same all the way from the output portion of the control system to the actual physical device.

But as we were discussing, the ISA standard is so vague its open to quite a bit of interpretation.
I have one customer that would use honking big 18 character field device tag names on their documentation then start clipping off tagname characters in their configuration because their control system only supported a maximum of 8.
They never clipped off the same ones twice though.
Made for some interesting 'hide-and'seek' troubleshooting.

I stick with the most common and sensible variations mainly because I'm not smart enough to do anything else (y)