Kinetix 5700 Startup STO Faults

thunberg

First time poster and somewhat new to PLC programming. I own a brewery, have a programming background, and one of the machines on my canning line is a serial #1 prototype that I'm working some bugs out of.

I purchased Studio 5000, have made progress on fixing a few bugs, but one I'd appreciate help with relates to initial / startup safe torque-off faults on Kinetix 5700 drives (Inhibit S05).

STO is being handled in the program (not hardwired) and my question is: how are initial / startup faults usually dealt with? Are they force cleared in the program? Is the operator supposed to press a fault clear button?

Alternatively, is there a cleaner way to do this so that Inhibit S05 faults don't occur at startup?

Thank you in advance for the help

I don't know if this applies to the 5700, but with the PowerFlex VFDs, I set them to not fault when STO opens (they have a parameter for this behavior). You'll have to do a risk assessment to be sure, but in general, you do want the operator to take positive action to reset the safety circuit. I just prefer the drive not also fault. Since you're handling STO in the program, I assume you have a GuardLogix PLC?