Kinetix 6000 Actual Position Weirdness

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just noticed something weird today on a program running 18 kinetix 6000 axes with MPL motors and absolute encoders.

These programs I have saved offline from various facilities all running the same basic underlining code.

I was looking at the offline values stored from when I last saved the PLC of the Kinetix Axes and the Actual Position/Commanded Position values are way out of whack. The Axis are configured/scaled correctly in inches with software limits set to 7 inches of stroke on a linear actuator. These have been running for years and repetitively moving from 0 to 5 inches. There's no issue with the running code, but when I look at the offline tag values of the Axes the Command/Actual Position values are ALL over the place. Some as high as 121 inches?! With a software limit and physical stroke limit of the actuator at 7 inches, how can actual/commanded be 121 inches? And I know when I saved the program, all the axes were parked at 0.

Could it be a tuning issue where the axis is hunting very rapidly and I saved an instantaneous snapshot? I don't see how 121 inches is possible even hunting considering Position Error limits are .05 inches.

Note: Ver 20 of CLX and Sercos. I just checked another older program that was ver 16 and all those are sitting at 0.0000xxx as expected.

Last edited:
I found my own answer, but FYI for those who might be interested. It's in KB article 41288.

Axis Attributes ARE NOT SAVED when doing a save and update tag information, as Axis Attributes are not considered tags. The only way to sync the offline folder with the online axis attributes is to specifically do an UPLOAD! Doing a normal save, even with update tags does NOT!

I found this very odd, but it's VERY important for those that might be using SSV instructions to change axis attributes. While the attributes change online, unless you do an explicit UPLOAD, your offline copy will have the wrong attributes in it.